WW1 White Ambulance (allegedly) for sale on E Bay

Great War truck

Just spotted this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230292841063&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

You may ask yourself if it is WW1 then why is it black and yellow. Also the body looks a little unusual as well.

At over £30,000 it is terribly overpriced. Someone might buy it (but i doubt it), we will see.

Tim (too)

Nice looking truck, BUT, never an ambulance. I stand to be corrected, but I think that all ambulances in WW1 had pneumatic tyres.(All of the ones I've seen photos of, anyway.) This looks like at least a 2 ton truck. It might be WW1, but thats where it stops.

My 1916 Albion is often miss-identified by those who don't know, as an ambulance, and it's a 3 tonner.

Yes Rick, i agree with you there. All the White ambulances were on pneumatics, but there were a number of GS trucks that were all fitted with solids. I would like to know why they think it was an ambulance and also why they thought it served in France. My understanding is that none of the trucks taken overseas to France were brought back. Just wishful thinking on their part.

Tim (too)

Yes Rick, i agree with you there. All the White ambulances were on pneumatics, but there were a number of GS trucks that were all fitted with solids. I would like to know why they think it was an ambulance and also why they thought it served in France. My understanding is that none of the trucks taken overseas to France were brought back. Just wishful thinking on their part.

Tim (too)

A long shot...could have been sent back via (the penny post system) by a US trooper (officer), cheaper than buying new back home ? they could only prove this if the label was still on it :??? :???

Ashley

Ashley,

Funny that you should say that. I have the actual Saracen APC that I drove from 1969 to 1972 when I was with the 4/19 Prince of Wales's Light Horse, sitting in my yard. I tell every-one that I sent it home in the mail. Somehow many believe it to be so. I got the idea from an episode of MASH 4077, where some-one sent home a Jeep through the mail.

This is a long term restoration. (Anyone got a left-hand rear door for a Saracen Mk 2. out there.)

Rick

During WW2 this was the method used to get one of H Gorings staff car to the states, and also Adolfs yacht.

Ashley

A long shot...could have been sent back via (the penny post system) by a US trooper (officer), cheaper than buying new back home ? they could only prove this if the label was still on it :??? :???

Ashley