Cypriot National Guard Uniform

2agunship

Hi,

We are trying to identify what uniform the Cypriot National Guard would have worn in the late 70's.

Mark Lloyd's book (Modern Combat Uniforms) does show a picture of a soldier wearing a combat jacket, but states that these were only worn by special forces/paras.

We would like to find out what someone in the artilliary would have worn. We believe that their personnal weapon was a version of the SLR, but are not 100% certain.

Any info/pictures would be most appreciated as we are trying to obtain a couple of uniforms & webbing for one of our displays.

Thanks and regards,

2agunship.

Despite having spent six months in Cyprus 76 - 77, I cannot claim to have ever knowingly seen a Cypriot National Guardsman.

However. "Combat jacket ... only worn by special forces/paras." As late as Bravo 20, McNab explains how his Iraqi captors assumed him to be special forces (correctly as it turns out, but incorrectly because, as they understood it, combat jackets where uniquely special forces - or parachute troops which amounted to the same in their idea - around the world. It made his maintaining his cover story as a medic all but impossible to maintain).

"a version of the SLR" I wouldn't be in the least surprised. I cannot remember when we handed control of Cyprus back to the Cypriots, but I am pretty sure it was after we were using them and it is reasonable to assume they did to. Compare with India and Pakistan, whose armed forces still look more British than the British and they have been independent over 60 years.

I was at Akrotiri from 70 to 74, we lived in Limassol in the Greek community. Firstly there was no such thing as a Cypriot national guard. The Island had a Greek Cypriot National Guard . It was a conscripted force under the leadership and influence of regular army officers from the mainland Greek Army. I recall they had some patrol boats. But never heard of them having special forces or partas in the time I was there.

There was a Greek National guard camp just up the road from us. The dress was a battledress in virtually the same style and colour to the British army battledress. They all wore gaiters and webbing belt light khaki in colour. In the sumer they wore long sleeved stone coloured (KD) shirts and trousers with the belt and gaiters Boots appeared to be black ammo boots but I think some wore brown. Beret was the standard head dress I recall various colours. Try doing Googles for the July 74 civil war you should find some certainly the BBC & ITN will have newreel footage.

I never saw any Greek national guard wearing combat jackets during 70 to 74.

regards TED

An apology I was digging into the web last night looking for stuff on fire serves in Cyprus.

The title Cypriot National Guard was indeed the official title BUT it was a Greek Cypriot organisation; hence we always refered to it as the Greek Cypriot National Guard,

The turkish equvalent was called the Turkish Cypriot Home Guard.

TED