Sillly Question

paul connor

Question

Sorry for anyone trying to get hold of me, im between moving house at teh second and I have no internet!

But! here is the question!

I would like to tow my Series 3 behind the Humber pig, Can i get an A frame for this? or is trailer the only option?

I have no idea on this one! but have seen many people just towing vehicles on bars/frame

many thanks! ill check back in prob a week! when i get net access once more:)

13 answers to this question

Sorry for anyone trying to get hold of me, im between moving house at teh second and I have no internet!

But! here is the question!

I would like to tow my Series 3 behind the Humber pig, Can i get an A frame for this? or is trailer the only option?

I have no idea on this one! but have seen many people just towing vehicles on bars/frame

many thanks! ill check back in prob a week! when i get net access once more:)

If you are going to use an A frame you need to have a braking system link from the Pig to the Land Rovers brakes.

And according to a DVLA vehicle inspector I spoke to some 5 years ago, it is not acceptable to use just the handbrake (the easy way!) - all brakes must be actuated.

One way is to get the over-run hitch to operate a master cylinder which actuates a hyd. cylinder to depress the brake pedal. He actually suggested that - I'm struggling to think of an easier way to do it :confused:

Might be worth contacting DVLA and asking to speak with a Vehicle Inspector, they'll soon put you straight and might be able to offer some other solutions which they've come across and approve :)

But isn't it the case that if your vehicle is MOT exempt you can only legally tow an un-laden trailer?

If the towed vehicle is attached via an A-Frame with a brake actuator of some sort and a lighting board from the towing vehicle then surely the towed vehicle IS a trailer provided it's not also loaded with kit????

But isn't it the case that if your vehicle is MOT exempt you can only legally tow an un-laden trailer?

V112G states....

30. Motor vehicles first used before 1st January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer, and trailers manufactured before 1st January 1960 and used unladen. For the purposes of this paragraph any determination as to when a motor vehicle is first used shall be made as provided in regulation 3(3) of the Construction and Use Regulations.

V112G states....

30. Motor vehicles first used before 1st January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer, and trailers manufactured before 1st January 1960 and used unladen. For the purposes of this paragraph any determination as to when a motor vehicle is first used shall be made as provided in regulation 3(3) of the Construction and Use Regulations.

Series 3 wasn't made before 1960 so that solves that:-D

There is a weight below which braking is not required on A-frames, which is why a lot of cars towed behind motorhomes are now the Smart Car, or other micro variants.

I think you'll find the maximum weight for an unbraked trailer is 750kg

There is a firm that makes a plug-in module to fit small cars - such as the Citroen C1 which activates the cars brakes electronically when the towing vehicles brakes are applied. This is an acceptable solution to the issue of towing small cars weighing more than 750 Kg behind motorhomes etc.

Not sure if it could be used on a Landrover as the brakes etc. are all hydraulic/mechanical, not electronic in anyway....