Mark

Question

3 answers to this question

Settings:

Working:

Ab: Work A set in left ear and Monitor B set in right ear

Ba: Work B set in left ear and monitor A set in right ear

ICa: Work crew intercommunication in left ear and monitor A set in right ear

O/R: I presume it is override but do not remember this setting. Probably in my role I simply never used it.

Beneath is the gain (volume) for the working set (left ear)

Monitor:

Off or On (that was rocket science)

Live IC: Working set in the left ear. Crew intercom is in the right ear with the mike live to talk on I/C (great if you are a driver, your hands are full and you need to pull the sticks, or you are a gunner with a hand each on elevation and traverse handwheels)

+M: as for Live IC, and also monitor the second set in the right ear.

Note that with Live I/C active, if the operator presses the pressel, he will transmit on the working set and hear himself speak (potentially blocking radio traffic from other others: he will stop hearing them when he presses the pressel). Pressing the pressel will ALWAYS activate the working circuit, whether it is A, B of I/C.

As before the control below works the gain in that ear.

Harness and Audio indicate where to plug leads into the side.

Note that there are two audio sockets.

About my last day ever in the hot seat in a Sultan, I was controlling the B Sqn 15/19H Combat Team Command Net and it was hectic. I was buried in a Staff User Headgear trying to retain control while the Combat Team went to Hell in a handbasket.

The Squadron Leader wandered across from his Land Rover and listened in by a handset plugged in beside my SUH. Eventually I gave up with the chaos on the net and started a standard bollicking.

"Hello all stations this is 2 you are jamming each other other by talking over one another. Listen before you speak. Minimise, minimise out."

The reply was totally unexpected:

"Hello 2 this 0 (Battlegroup Control station, my old Command Troop, to whom I answered andwith whom I was in contact on the alternative set which ought to be being monitored in my right ear). There is nothing wrong with this net and it is my net to control. Do you have a problem?"

Hearing Zero in my left ear was all wrong. I looked down at my hand holding the pressel. I turned and looked at the junction box (see pic) and found the Squadron Leader had his hand on the Working set switch, having just switched me onto the wrong means from right underneath me. He got a thousand yard stare. (I was days away from transferring out to a desk job in the RAPC, he couldn't hurt me.) I growled at him. He returned my box to the state it had been in before he interfered and hurried back to his Land Rover, whence he got speaking to Zero as had been his wont when he had interfered in my bollicking of his squadron for him.

Moral: In signals, as well as think before you speak, think before you change settings on radio junction boxes.