Fiat 15 ter lorry

Rlangham

Not now. They were purchased by Richard Peskett,(the chap who restored the one which is now at Duxford) and then sold on to a BAA engineer who lost interest. They changed hands twice more and are (were?) now in the hands of a Surrey chap. I am not aware if he has done anything to them in the years that he has had them. But these things have a habit of turning up again every few years.

Tim (too)

Sadly i have no photos. We had just completed the Bournemouth to Bath run (90 miles) in the newly completed WD Autocar and this chap came over and produced all these photos. It was his retirement project but i think he had just been made redundant and needed the cash. I felt rather sorry for the chap as his wife was watching on and they obviously wanted the money. If i remember correctly the lot comprised three chassis, gearboxes, but only two engines and one rad. He thought that he could only make one complete one, but of course replacement rads can be made (at a price) so in our eyes there were two there.

Another WW1 Fiat (but a three tonner) turned up in HCVS news in this country. There was another 3 tonner for sale in France in CMV a while back. Will see if i can find a photo for you (dont wait up).

Tim (too)

I've seen photos of 2 or 3 photos at a WW1 event a few of my mates went to in June in Italy (wish I had gone), including a 15 ter or similar. Luckily, i'm going all over there in October, all expenses paid, not sure if it's the same place but I hope so

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

To confirm much of what has already be written the Fiat 15 TER at Duxford is the vehicle which I bought and restored in 1976/7 and sold to the IWM in the late 1990s. When in the scrap metal business in the mid 1970s we were clearing much of a Sussex yard where vehicles had been since pre-war days, amongst them was a Fiat 15TER which I kept intact and took it back to my yard. Ironically from the yard I sold a couple of things which later almost came back to haunt me in the restoration business - a Thornycroft 'J' type engine which I subsequently used in the restoration of the IWM 'J' type and a Vulcan bus which I subsequently restored for the late John Lee at World of Country Life, Exmouth, but that is all another story. Around the same time I bought another chassis only 15 TER . A year later I was offered a complete 15TER which had been used as a breakdown lorry at a Leicestershire garage, this was the one I restored and ran for many years. As already mentioned the others I sold on and are now apparently in Surrey. The picture is the vehicle we brought back in 1975, the ironwork from the body I used in the restoration of my Jeffery-Quad body.

Richard Peskett.

Fiat 15 TER.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The 15 TER does not have a fan, the air being pulled through the radiator by the vaned flywheel ( all cast as one) , also and often missing is the engine under tray which along with the bonnet makes a complete 'tunnel' for the air. The flywheel carries the multi disc clutch which runs in a mixture of oil and paraffin which in turn most does not stay in there for very long although having covered considerable distances in mine it never gave any trouble.

Richard Peskett.

The problem with the clutch loosing its oil is that there is not a seal around the input shaft at the back end, obviously enough liquid stays in through centrifugal force but heaven help any onlookers who are standing adjacent if you have put too much in , a liberal coating is applied from knees down.

Richard Peskett.

The 15 TER does not have a fan, the air being pulled through the radiator by the vaned flywheel ( all cast as one) , also and often missing is the engine under tray which along with the bonnet makes a complete 'tunnel' for the air. The flywheel carries the multi disc clutch which runs in a mixture of oil and paraffin which in turn most does not stay in there for very long although having covered considerable distances in mine it never gave any trouble.

Richard Peskett.

Hello Richard,

Is this what are you talking about ???

image0hd.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-17

image0001ip.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-17

image0002t.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-17