Change the markings on a MV

Joris

What's the best way to change the markings on a MV? Currently my Dodge is marked as 30div 120 rgt but I want it to be 82nd / 504pir. Should I sand the old markings away and then repaint (spray?) the original color and then apply the new markings?

Hi MadMan, I guess the answer is in what you're trying to achieve. If you want the "fresh out the factory, new to the combat theatre look", yes sand and respray.

The reality of unit number changes in the field is somewhat different. Time, tools and materials were limited and this sort of job was often undertaken at short notice and after dark for security reasons.

The finish was therefore not perfect, and almost certainly brush applied. There are instances of combat units moving with wet paint.

However if you go for the "pressed trouser" and "Hollywod" finish, sanding and spraying would be just fine!

Jonathan Gawnes book, Ghosts of the ETO gives a good insight to this practice.

My WC-56 has it's original paint intact and it's possible to see under the last layer of markings an earlier set(to the same unit),so as Karoshi says they did not always remove earlier markings.

Matt.