Hazlar Naval Hospital

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Whilst looking around Haslar at Gosport i found a rd that led to the rear of Haslar Hospital,(they want to close it and build 740 homes.)the sea on one side with great views.its difficult to take pictures because of the fencing and razor wire.(no i wasnt arrested)one of the buildings had this inscription,and reminds us of the sacrifices all over the world that were made by not just military personel

FROM THE WOMEN OF CANADA

The gift of this Building is the expression of our Love and Loyalty to our King and Empire, and of our undying gratitude to the Brave men who are fighting for the vindication of our Honour among the Nations, for the advancement of Civilization, for the Freedom of our Empire, and for the safety of our Homes.

Why do i feel since this time we have let them down badly.

wkend017.jpg

The lesson to learn was never ever do this again

Daily-Life-in-Sadr-City-Iraq-13.jpg

Yeah Right.

Daily life in Sadr City.People dont make wars Governments do.:cry:

Orpington hospital was built with money from Canada, as a thank you for treatment of wounded during the Great War. what did the National hHealth want to do? rip it all down and sell for houses! Fortunatley a local very vigourous campaign, and a little reminder from the Goverment of Canada, along the lines of 'Oy we own it, NOT you!' it is still open. :tup::

Its so depressing ! I should be able to be proud of this "Great Britain" but its getting difficult when you hear how our heritage and people who sacrifice so much to preserve it are treated so badly and forgotten with little or no respect !! Whats happening to this place !

A lot of this Hospital is empty ,perfect place for the lads coming back from the most recent conflicts.

I would imagine they are stymied by the nosedive in the housing market. They tend to keep bits for heritage and flog off the majority with the notion that the new owners will maintain the "historic" bits. Yeah, right.

See what they did to Shoebury Garrison, very nice and tasteful and I'd consider retiring there....but all that history swept away.

I don't think it is possible to draw a line in the sand on these matters. Civil servants have been selling, scrapping and steamrollering since days of yore. It isn't a new culture, it's just that is seems to be more public and more painful. For me the issue is knowing that all these property sales do not garner money for Tommy in Helmand or Jack Tar at sea. We know where it goes.

I once had course to remind a foreign gentleman that Great Britain is named thus because it is the biggest island in the chain, not out of any inflated opinion of itself. We'll always be Great. All the same I think the general decline continues and I know who I blame - nothing changes on that score. But this descends in to the evil world of politics..so is off limits.:nono: I hope I've closed that particular cul-de-sac, while leaving other aspects of the thread well and truly OPEN.

MB

Hi,

When we became a Tri-Service Hospital under the defence review a few years back now. We were going to become the forces centre of medical excellence.

The main reason the hospital is now closing is because the Army and RAF did not want the medical centre of excellence to be sited in Gosport as it is, in their opinion too far away from any major roads and Airfields....even though they closed the Fleet Air Arm base at HMS Deadalus a few years earlier, and have access across the water where the hospital ships could off load the wounded…work that one out if you can!

The site is still owned by the MoD but the wards and facilities are loaned out in partnership to the NHS until the new super hospital is built in Cosham July next year when NHS will decant and the site will then be stripped and handed over to Defence Estates for final disposal, then companies will submit their intentions for future development. It is hoped a medical company will invest to make it a private hospital or nursing home i.e. Chelsea pensioners, oh and of course housing.

I have worked for the MoD for the past 20 years of which 16 in the hospital and will be part of the closure team next year.

Paul