Differet use for an MV....

ArtistsRifles

Here's one to make Lee smile:

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/08/german_family_b.php

German family uses armored car for the grocery run

foxtank.jpg

The next time some obnoxious jerk in a Hummer or Escalade cuts you off as if they owned the road, perhaps you should consider the move taken by Joachim Schoeneich of Neu Anspach Germany. He has decided that a British Army surplus Fox FV721 makes the perfect family grocery getter, and has even fitted a kiddie seat so two year old son Paul can come along for the ride.

While most reports are incorrectly calling it a tank, the Fox is really an armored reconnaissance vehicle, with huge tires rather than the tracks of an actual tank. The overall size is not too unreasonable either, being narrower than a Hummer H1, and shorter than a regular Chrysler 300 sedan. Shoeneich says it's tricky to maneuver, especially with it's non functioning gun sticking out and lousy outward visibility. Still, I suppose nobody's going to argue with you over that last parking spot.

Perhaps Schoeneich should also consider some alternate wheels for once he gets inside the store

But why is the night-sight aperture open? I don't believe Fox ever had retro-fitted a night-sight suitable for daytime use prior to its withdrawal from service. If that sight were switched on, the aperture would instantly black it out anyway to stop it burning out.

(At the Light Dragoons Association weekend last month I got the full tour of the new night-sight to go into a tranche of Scimitars currently being purpose-rebuilt for use in Afghanistan. The picture clarity was astonishing, a world away from the first-generation image-intensifying night-sights we used on Scorpions in the 1970s. It was so good that the sergeant showing me round reckons gunners will use the night-sight by day in preference to the normal optical gunner's sight. It zoomed in close enough to easily identify the ASM's REME cap-badge and the built-in eye-friendly laser-rangefinder told me he was exactly 50m away without the ASM falling to the ground screaming, "AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! I'm blind!" What did disappoint me was a regular Royal Armoured Corps senior NCO so badly over-estimating his range at 75-100m before lasing. They let anybody in now. Don't they teach them anything?)