Replacing inner Tracta Joint oil seal on a Daimler Ferret?

Richard Grosvenor

Hello,

I need some help (again!)

I've noticed that the Oil Seal on the out-put shaft on the rear Inner Tracta joint on the Ferret has started to leak. I've only had a quick look at it but the oil seal is quite loose (the other's are all tight and dry) so not doubt it will need replacing.

Question..What is the correct/easiest way of doing it? An "idiots guide" would be nice, better still, someone local who could help me with it. :)

Also, how easy is it to get hold of these seals?

All help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Richard

I've noticed that the Oil Seal on the out-put shaft on the rear Inner Tracta joint on the Ferret has started to leak. I've only had a quick look at it but the oil seal is quite loose (the other's are all tight and dry) so not doubt it will need replacing.

Question..What is the correct/easiest way of doing it? An "idiots guide" would be nice, better still, someone local who could help me with it. :)

Also, how easy is it to get hold of these seals?

Richard,

I have known the mechanicals of Ferrets, intimately for a very long time (32 years), but am a little mystified by you description of your leak. The inner tracta joint is the one in the bevel box, there is a rubber boot protecting the challis (spherical housing that seal bears on). Is the oil coming out of the boot? The inner tacta housing slides in to the bevel box and the action of the suspension means that this housing has to move in and out slightly. The seal arrangement for this is a little archaic in that it is a cork ring fitted in a groove around the tracta housing. They always leak, some worse than others.

I still cannot grasp what you say about the seal being loose?

Richard

Hello Richard,

Hmm :oops: ,

yeah the oils coming from the boot, but just having a quick look today, it looks like there's a retaining ring holding the boot in place. This is what is loose, it feels that it could easily be pulled off.

I got this picture from the workshop manual.

Ferrettractajoint.jpg

I think that the seal which has gone is no.14. Would this be visible with the boot in place?

The Ferret has been pretty much leak free until now with only the odd little drip. But this one is quite noticeable.

I said I need an "idiots guide"!

Thanks

Richard

yeah the oils coming from the boot, but just having a quick look today, it looks like there's a retaining ring holding the boot in place. This is what is loose, it feels that it could easily be pulled off.

I think that the seal which has gone is no.14. Would this be visible with the boot in place?

The Ferret has been pretty much leak free until now with only the odd little drip. But this one is quite noticeable.

Richard,

The boot is held in place by a hose clip, slide the boot of the thin metal ring. This ring is held on by a number of 1/4" setscrews, if these are loose, then the bronze ring that the seal is fitted into is obviously loose, that means that the seal is not in good contact with the challis, hence source of leak. Try tightening these screws and monitering the leak. If it still persists, then you will have to delve deeper.

Richard

Hello,

I had a good look today,

I took the wheel off and gave the Tracta Joint a clean to remove the years of muck off it so I could see whats going on.

This is a picture of it;

DSCI0015.jpg

First thing I checked was the bolts on the red retaining ring, these were all tight. If you look to the right of the red ring, that is the seal that feels loose but it seems to be intact.

I checked all round the boot and that all seem good. I couldn't see any oil leaking from anywhere.

The only thing I found that could be a problem was a copper washer on the level check plug that was very thin and broken. I replaced this and topped the oil back up and 2 hours later it was still dry and no sign of a leak.

The only thing is, is that the oil level was well below the level plug so unless capillary action or the muck around the plug was "wicking" the oil away it must be leaking somewhere else. :cry:

I've cleaned the oil off the floor and put a clean bit of ply wood under he joint so I can see if it continues to leak.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Richard

If you look to the right of the red ring, that is the seal that feels loose but it seems to be intact.

Any other suggestions?

Richard,

Loose seal.......I see what you mean now !!! That is a toroidial sealing ring, in other words, an "O" ring. It does very little really, there is a cork ring further inside that is supposed to keep the oil back and the "O" ring is more of a secondary measure and also to keep the muck out. They always weep, especially when hot and the oil is thinned out.

Richard

Hi, the Shorland is coming along well, just ordered loads of parts+bits from Paddocks, so Ive had 5 big parcels arrive so far, tyres are on there way, Ihavent worked on it this week because I was prepairing for my Unfair dismissal Tribural on Thurs+Friday just gone, so hopefully I will be back to my 6hrs a day on the Shorland, I'll update the Blog soon.

Tyler.