Warming up the engine.........

Jack

When I last fired up the GMC (before I decided to take it to bits again :twisted: :twisted: ) I let the engine run up to normal temperature.........because that's what you do, isn't it?!

And I know people who do this before they drive off but what is the benifits of this, less engine wear or better fuel combustion or what?!

Cheers

jack.

Hi Jack, I sometimes do it, as it helps slow engine wear because it allows the oils to warm and become more fluid which then means it can lubericate the engine better before the engine has to work hard e.g. (having to move the vehicle), also to warm the gearbox oil which makes changing gear easier and better.

Hope this helps.

Tyler.

When I last fired up the GMC (before I decided to take it to bits again :twisted: :twisted: ) I let the engine run up to normal temperature.........because that's what you do, isn't it?!

A good question! And one I'm sure which will have lot's of different answers and opinions.

Now..... most vehicle handbooks states that "once the engine is started you should drive off" and not to warm an engine up by letting it idle.

Personally, with a petrol engine with a manual choke I run it at a fast idle until it will run without the choke and then drive off. With the ZIL once I have air pressure the engine is running smooth enough so off I go. With a diesel such as the Militant once I have air pressure I drive away.

Normaly I find an engine is up to full operating temperature in about 2 miles.

As I said I'm sure there will be lots of different opinions.

And I'm sure this will be a popular topic. :wink:

Regards

Richard

I've always gone the "fire it up and drive off" route.

This makes sure that the gearbox and axle oil gets warm too.

An engine will warm up to operating temperatue sooner that way than if its just sitting idling.

You will burn off the condensation in an engine earlier too.

Especially if its one thats been sitting for a while.

Anyway, as soon as my engine gets warm I switch over to LPG

39.9p a litre.......Ahhhh :D