432 test gear?

Tony B

Question

14 answers to this question

:-D

Evening All !

A mate asked me if I knew 'owt about this so I had to join to find out what it was ......

Anyway, it's no piece of 432 test gear that I ever met but may well be off a Panzer of some sort - can't be certain cos I never worked on Panzers

I work with a couple of ex-ASM ECE's so I'll have a word with them tomorrow

:shocked:

"tankl" ???

is that summat like that Wankel rotary engine thing ?

:cool2:

Oi you - cease the red wine consumption and answer the man's question for him!!!:rofl::rofl:

And before Lee gets you in his Foxes sights - don't forget to go and post an entry in the "Introductions and Welcomes" board if you haven't already!! :)

(ps - No, a silver Surf doesn't count for entry to the W&P show!!)

:argh:

Oi !

Leave me alone - it's not my fault that I'm short !

PS

Of course I've said hello - it'd be rude to abuse people without introducing myself first.

And for your information I don't drink any more (Fortunately I don't drink any less either !)

:confused:

The good news is that three former members of the most venerable Corps of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers with a combined service experience in excess of 66 years have applied their considerable brain power to this conundrum and have reached the following conclusion regarding this item:

"WTF is it ? We haven't a clue !"

Notwithstanding the foregoing we have the following observations to make:

1. It's not from the Centurion/Conqueror era

2. It's not 430 series

3. It's too old to be Challenger/Warrior

4. It's not a standard issue piece of test equipment

The best guess is that the item was locally manufactured, probably in a REME Workshop (The screws would suggest this), possibly for a tracked gun or similar. Unfortunately the only artillery experience we have was my three years on Benbecula watching them fire Rapier and other missiles in the general direction of North America so you'll have to ask somebody that knows about long range snipers.

Oh yeah - it's stating the obvious but the offending vehicle will probably have four forward gears and three reverse !

We'd like to add that our services are available at normal consultancy rates for questions on:

Sport

Well endowed ladies of the 70's (That's 1970's !)

Chieftain and Challenger Electronic Control Systems

Claret

Rhone wines, including Chateauneuf du Pape

Cheers guys - hopefully we'll be of more use next time !

:argh:

Well I never exactly claimed we were experts - a pair of decrepid ASM's and an Artisan (whose only exposure to real armour was a ten month period teaching at Arborfield) wouldn't meet most people's idea of expertise !

I must admit that the Chobham reference lends credence to the idea that it was locally manufactured.

Does anybody here have any experience of SP guns etc ? Is there one with four forward and 3 reverse ?