Prime movers..

Rick W

A wonderfully rare photo of a Austro-Daimler C-Zug, also known as 'Gigant'. Designed by Ferdinand Porsche for transporting heavy Skoda howitzers and motors on road and rail (normal and Russian guage). Each 38cm M16 howitzer required five C-Zuge (i.e. tractor plus a four-axle 30-ton trailer) - one each for the left and right base, one for the mount, one for the barrel and one for ammunition.

Each 38cm M16 howitzer required five C-Zuge (i.e. tractor plus a four-axle 30-ton trailer) - one each for the left and right base, one for the mount, one for the barrel and one for ammunition.

I'm struggling to find an image of this beast, can only find 28cm guns (anyone?), but I can't believe a solitary Scammell Constructor wouldn't manage the whole caboodle.....:whistle:

I'm struggling to find an image of this beast, can only find 28cm guns (anyone?), but I can't believe a solitary Scammell Constructor wouldn't manage the whole caboodle.....:whistle:

I think you'll find the Scammell Constructor was designed for a totally different logistics scenario.

I came across this on eBay... looks like the trailer (and barrel)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380040785508&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025

It looks like there is a problem with traction there, the trailer wheel is chocked and the marks on the tyres on the rear of the tractor show it's been spinning, as do the dust clouds.

Is it me or do the trailer wheels look like they are steering?

The rail wheels are visible as well, what a good picture, thanks for posting that.