Utah Beach - Joseph Balkoski

Great War truck

Just finished this one and i rate it quite good. Initially i saw it in Blackwells for £20 which i thought a lot, but then bought it new off E Bay for $1. There you go, it pays to shop around.

The book covers the Utah beach landing in superb detail with lots of first hand accounts of both the beach landing and the paratrooper drop. The drop was always something that i found the objectives as they fit into the whole invasion to be rather confusing (as no doubt, also did the paratroopers). This book clearly explains what happened as to what should have happened in a superb way.

The author has been described by USA today as "the top living D Day historian", which I agree although he is good, this might be a bit over the top. He did state something that i am unsure of, that wounded paratroopers were flown out of Normandy by glider by being picked up by a Dakota dragging a hook to pick up a line. I find this hard to believe somehow. I know this method was used to recover gliders from their landing position, but i can not imagine that this was ever done with a full load. The pilots would be braced against their seats. Everyone else would i imagine be thrown to the back of the glider by the 0 to 100 mph instantaneous acceleration. Flying in a glider is bad enough as it is, but while being wounded it must have been next to impossible. Any Airborne experts got an opinion on this?

Tim (too)

• 2 weeks later...