Pics of Austin Champ

NEWCOMER

I believe this to be an Austin Champ... these were from my Dads personal photos from his time in the RE, I believe he mentioned it was taken in Marchwood, Southampton. I only have photos of his mates though, they all swapped them apparently...someone out there has a photo of my dad... can I have it back please?!!:(

FT0063.jpg

FT0064.jpg

Marchwood,was he a marine?

Royal Engineers... 'Port Op' used to be one of their trades back then I believe, that was before the RCT Maritime took over the role and barracks... Marines are based further down the road in Poole....

Port Op,that would explain it,any pics?:)

I'm afraid not.. at least not from his day. I did a bit of a stint at the port my self for a while in a general transport capacity can't say I enjoyed it much.

Do have some pics of the port from an RLC journal I aquired at the time, only kept it because there was another smaller picture of me in it cleaning out a pond or something! You can see me top left hand corner!

lastscan.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Thats interesting the Landrovers /trailers,i mentioned it because of Husbands yard,which is where the Powerboat Trust tried to start a museum of the fast boats.i went there in the early days,sadly it never got to be due to politics,shame because the dunkirk ships and fleet air arm were interested in joining them.Missed opertunity yet again.

Thats interesting the Landrovers /trailers,i mentioned it because of Husbands yard,which is where the Powerboat Trust tried to start a museum of the fast boats.i went there in the early days,sadly it never got to be due to politics,shame because the dunkirk ships and fleet air arm were interested in joining them.Missed opertunity yet again.

I believe the Husbands yard is now a set of apartment blocks.

And I believe they still had bits of the original Mulberry Harbour rusting on fields to the side of the port next to all the reclaimed land.

IMAGE0006.jpg

Inside the main shed,it was pulled down quick before the preservation order came through.There was a phenominal amount of history that went with this yard,especially ww2,i might try and research it at some time.

• 4 months later...

Hi Paul doesnt look like it needs to much,is that the silencer on the outside.i expect you are aware there is a huge following for champs down under.if not check out Austin champ Register.check to see if it is listed,if not they would like to add it to the register.cheers cw.

Thanks CW I will do that, the silencer is down the side. It is in the same condition we received it in 1980s. I assumed this was a mod done over here by the Army?

Just checked and it is registered WN1 3511

:tup::

• 8 months later...