Still no response to Oshkosh tank transporter request.

6 X 6

Some weeks ago I wrote a perfectly polite and reasonable letter to the Highway Authorities requesting that the flashing matrix signs on our motorways should carry warning signs when convoys of Oshkosh tank transporters were about. I even suggested suitable wording. I thought flashing up "Warning to all WWII MV enthusiasts it's not a Scammell coming, it's an Oshkosh" would be helpful. The thing is, and I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to, there you are, driving along in a semi daydream, reading the road ahead, when you spot, far in the distance coming towards you, is it a Diamond T, Antar, Scammell ? You get all excited, it actually turns out to be an Oshkosh. Nothing wrong with that, they're really nice and I plan to get one but it's just very slightly disappointing if you were expecting something a bit more vintage. We should be warned.

Can't call them pretty like a Scammell or Diamond T. I'd be impressed if you get yourself one! I remember climbing the south face of one a few years ago to get in the cab. Needed mountain rescue to get out.

MB

I might soon be in the position to get one if Dinky bring one out. Failing that, as a Tax Payer, I think I have a fairly strong case for demanding that I should at least be able to have a go of one.

Don't forget to pack your crampons and thermos.

I had to look up 'crampons', I thought you meant something else and thought why would I need to take those ??? I do seem to remember it being quite difficult for them to find civilian drivers for these transporters due to the extremely itinerant nature of the work. You never knew where you were going or how long many weeks you would be be away from home. It became so difficult that in one ad I saw they were saying they would accept drivers with up to 9 points on their licence. I've always given them a wide berth since then.

I'm not known for climbing up anything higher than a pub door step.....

Many of the pubs around here have done away with the climbing step altogether. It's very sad to see many of the traditional pub entering skills being lost as a result.

I might soon be in the position to get one if Dinky bring one out. Failing that, as a Tax Payer, I think I have a fairly strong case for demanding that I should at least be able to have a go of one.

Great answer :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Can I come with you? :argh:

Aren't a lot of them actually run by a civillian firm? Wheres the application form?

As I said earlier in this thread they were quite desperate for drivers at one time. I think I can remember seeing adverts for drivers in "Truck and Driver" magazine which mentioned two or three weeks on the road training at a residential venue somewhere. I expect more than a few did just the training and then disappeared in much the same way as potential "buyers" of MV's turn up to test drive MV's being offered for sale and then, after doing so, are never seen again. I sometimes think a "Sellers Guide" would be more useful than the "Buyers Guide" currently being mooted.

Many of the pubs around here have done away with the climbing step altogether. It's very sad to see many of the traditional pub entering skills being lost as a result.

You are making my afternoon :rofl::rofl:

My English teacher, Mr Prosser (with a fearsome right hook) used to tell me that what I lacked in sense I made up in stupidity. He was an ex- Spitfire pilot, kept his wings in his wallet.

The Sutton Arms in Southend has no step, but is awash with scary lesbians, dwarves and people with an urge to streak; While The Ship in Leigh on Sea has too many steps, some bloody awful bands and a gorgeous bar maid. The Horse and Groom in Rochford used to have a gorgeous bar maid and on my last visit had a tree on a Mondeo in the car park. The beer there is glorious. The Smack Inn at Leigh has leprachauns and the staff do not like people referring to the Irish tricolour as the Italian flag. I blamed it on a trick of the light.

MB