Ford model T light truck

Rlangham

Last of the photos of the RAFM vehicles now (seeming as i've now done all four of them!), is this very nice Ford Model T tender. It's the 1917-1923 version of the Model T, and Model Ts were used in many forms during the war, as armoured cars, patrol cars fitted with Lewis and Vickers machine guns, staff cars, water carriers, ambulances, even starters for aircraft engines (as you can see in the Shuttleworth thread), pretty much any use you can think for it, the Model T was used for it. Unfortunately this has been pretty poorly positioned so it's hard to get photos of it, but I believe it may be moved outside for an event this year so i'll get better photographs of it then and update this thread

f4ao3.jpg

By the end of the war there were 18,984 Ford Model T's in service with the British forces alone, in the RAF they were mainly used as passenger cars, ambulances, fire tenders or light tenders as shown. They remained in service up until 1927, which incidentally is when production of the Ford Model T stopped.

f3rh4.jpg

Not much is known about this one, except that it was shipped over as a working chassis (ie radiator, cowling, engine, wheels but no bodywork) in 1917 as a part of an American built batch (even though they was a large production line in Manchester since 1911) to France prior to the US entry into the war. Apart from this, nothing is known of the history of it ie which bodywork it wore, so the cab and rear cargo bed of it has been replicated. The registration number is based on an example that served with the Royal Flying Corps in Scotland during WWI

f2pr5.jpg

f1ll2.jpg

There's the Tuckett brothers in the UK who seem to be the main source for Model T's over here, their website is http://www.tuckettbrothers.co.uk (interesting that the 1919 tourer for sale has bullet holes!).

At the IWM photo archives on Wednesday I found plenty of photos of the patrol car version of the model T as shown in the Australian War Memorial photos, including a shot showing the rear bed of a spare model T body, which would be crucial in making a replica. There was also a photo of a patrol car at Arras, first proof i've seen that this version was used on the western front

f3mk4.jpg

Also, on a visit to the RAF Museum on Friday, the model T had been moved, still in an awkward place for photos though unfortunately!

f2xn6.jpg

I posted the photos of the RAFM's model T on a Ford model T messageboard, and it was absolutely torn to pieces! Turns out the RAFM have made a bad job of it, as although the chassis is original, most of the parts (including the cowl/windshield area) are from late 1920's era model Ts, which puts the accuracy of the bodywork style in doubt too

f1zw4.jpg

• 3 months later...

It was the rad that looked the same as our Dennis. The Tilling has a curved rad, while the Dennis looks more like this.

DSCN2925.jpg

We know of a surviving Dennis Stevens which is in a scrap yard and in very bad shape. It was recently offered for sale but at too much money. Interestingly, when we advertised for Dennis parts we were offered several Dennis Stevens parts. Someone was interested in buying it, but i think was put of by the lack of parts.

I have not been able to find a Dennis Stevens picture. There was a photo of a searchlight one on E bay a while back but i do not seem to have kept a copy. A shame. Where did your photo come from?

Tim (too)

Tim, Its one of those old postcards that were printed during and after WWI, as you are indeed well up on WW1 trucks one thing i noticed whilst mulling over the photo was the name Stevens was embossed on the radiator and is also painted across the top of the scuttle so was this range a Stevens using Dennis parts or the other way round if you PM me with your e mail i will send you a enlarged shot of the photo

Tim, Its one of those old postcards that were printed during and after WWI, as you are indeed well up on WW1 trucks one thing i noticed whilst mulling over the photo was the name Stevens was embossed on the radiator and is also painted across the top of the scuttle so was this range a Stevens using Dennis parts or the other way round if you PM me with your e mail i will send you a enlarged shot of the photo

PM sent

Tim (too)