Matador Gallery

This Mat limped into GDSF with a broken rear half-shaft. Beleiving he was in gear when he wasn't, He had rolled back on a hill start with the living van behind and decided to slam it into gear rather than using the brakes! Result one big bang. It took us days to get the half shaft cap nut free to effect a repair..

21-04-2008212730.jpg

Do you know the reg or chassis number?

Geoff acquired it from a large timber operator at Brixworth (Mabbots?) who also ran an unsual 4x4 Commer. It had been fitted with a Leyland 401 (hello Sisu :)) but not very well as the front axle had been clouting the sump. It went to someone near Oakham and is thought to have been restored.

Getting back to the HMV theme, these Douglas tractors feature because of their Matador lineage, but did Douglas use new or reclaimed (from ex mvs) Matador running gear?

Hi Mike, the 'Welsh pair' live in the same village as me. My brotherin law usedto have a recovery Mat (yellow) as far as I remember it went to an enthusiast in Mid Wales some years ago,hopefully it will have been restored by now.

Douglas used both new and used parts. As far as I know my douglas uses totally new parts bought Direct from AEC, but Douglas used Austin, commer, leyland Foden, in fact just about anything they could get there hands on. Most of the Douglas 4x4 loggers were converted from Matadors, but at the ende Douglas used their own gearbox cases but fitted AEC shafts and gears into them.