6v voltage regulator

pop larkin

Question

Where can I get a 6v voltage regulator? I have fitted the resistor that I got from Rex Ward, but that is only kicking out 2v. Looking on CCKW they recommend a Regulator as apposed to a resistor, however I can't find a supplier anywhere. Anybody know where I can get one? Would be nice to see how much fuel is still in my tank (or not :-D)

9 answers to this question

That's just what I thought, Pop, until someone put me right.

You have 6 volts +ve, going through the gauge and then to the sender unit in the tank, and then to earth.

The sender unit is simply a variable resistor load,which alters the current flowing through the gauge.

If you put 12 volts through it you will fry the gauge but not the sender unit.

But you don't want to take my word for it, I am one of those anonymous people :whistle:

You need to speak to an expert like Rex Ward or The helpful folk at Jeeparts or Dallas Auto or any number of others I don't even know of yet.

If you put 12 volts through it you will fry the gauge but not the sender unit.

Which is why you need the voltage regulator/reducer chip, to get down to 6v to go through the gauge and then to tank sender unit.

Have you put the chip between the gauge and sender unit? That might explain why you are only getting 2v??? Try putting it on the feed side of the gauge. :dunno: :dunno:

Well I have re-wired the guage and sender today and I am pleased to say I now have a functioning guage, and 3/4 of a tank of fuel to go with it 8-). Put the resistor on the feed to the guage not the sender and hey presto.

Thanks N.O.S. whoever you are :-D

Oh and I wired up the horn too. A 6v horn with 12v through it is very loud :-D

Well I have re-wired the guage and sender today and I am pleased to say I now have a functioning guage, and 3/4 of a tank of fuel to go with it 8-)

Ahh, but are you sure you have 3/4 tank fuel ?? ;-)

Andy, (who doesn't trust fuel guages......... :whistle:)

Ahh, but are you sure you have 3/4 tank fuel ?? ;-)

Andy, (who doesn't trust fuel guages......... :whistle:)

Yep. I had the sender out at the same time to check it wasn't stuck,so can confirm the amount of fuel in there :-D

It will not be loud for long :whistle:

I don't use the horn much on my car anyway,so I think it will be ok for the odd time I do blow it :-)