Images of a forgotten war!

Great War truck

I dont know if anybody has ever come across it before, but i have spent the last few hours on this website

http://www.nfb.ca/enclasse/ww1/index.html

Which is an incredible archive of WW1 film. Now having watched numerous TV programs about WW1 i must admit to being very annoyed at how the editor/director treats his audience. Those films always jump around after about 3 or 4 seconds so they obviously think we have a very short attention span. The films on this website are uninterrupted and show the mundane in great and extravagant detail. Showing the loading and firing of a howitzer, an FWD hauling a Peerless out of mud, a coulmn of Pierce Arrows negotiating a very muddy road, narrow guage trains hauling ammunition etc. It goes on and on.

My best find is probably film of one of the Autocars in a parade, but one of the 12 minute clips (described as August offensive #7) is almost entirely trucks, ambulances staff cars near the front. I have never seen any film like it and have been searching for stuff like this for 15 years. If you have any interest in WW1 trucks take a look. If you are interested in WW1 stuff take a look. If you are not interested in WW1 go and take a look anyway and i defy you not to be enthralled.

Tim (too)

Thanks for the heads up Tim. Fascinating stuff, horses driven Tandem, and one stupid thing I noticed, the troops boarding the trains were wearing spurs. I know from experience that it can cause a lot of trouble wearing spurs when not actually riding, especially walking down steps. Already added it to favourites. :tup:

Other intresting bits, the Light Railway section using mule pairs for the graders. The big guns might well be Passcendale, the Canadians finally took the villiage in November 1917.