Mushrooms

hardyferret

well thanks to Centurion, Iam the proud owner of a pair of mushroom ventalaitors for the pig, one is sporting a very dashing 50 cal hole!!

Will post some pics when fitted

Many thanks Centurion, and not to lazy slug postman prat who demanded I carry them from his van :angry:

HF

well thanks to Centurion, Iam the proud owner of a pair of mushroom ventalaitors for the pig, one is sporting a very dashing 50 cal hole!!

Will post some pics when fitted

Many thanks Centurion, and not to lazy slug postman prat who demanded I carry them from his van :angry:

HF

I hope they are square mushrooms, not mushroom shaped mushrooms :?

I am so disappointed. I saw this thread and was immediately transported back to Tyneham Gap and B Squadron 15/19H gunnery ranges and camp in 1977.

As Squadron Leader's Land Rover driver, I didn't get to convert any live rounds into empty cases (at least I don't remember: he had this habit of turning to me and saying, "Come on, Trooper Alien, let's have a cabby.") I did get to help with the ammo bashing though: removing 76mm HESH rounds from their packing cases, carrying them to Scorpions and bringing back empty cases.

One day the detail was for 3-vehicle troops to go down the battle run, opened for the first time in donkeys' years through the abandoned village of Tyneham. The Boss had me remove the canvas from our Land Rover so that Instructors, Gunnery (IGs) and various other hangers-on (literally in this case I suppose) could follow behind the troops and observe their gunnery skills - the object of the whole week after all.

Driving across fields where the CVR(T) in front of us was literally the first vehicle through in decades, the Boss got excited at fields of mushrooms, each maybe a foot across, and every time we stopped he had me out collecting them and gently placing them in the back of the rover.

Of all the pictures I took in the cavalry, the one reel that didn't get lost when my late mother's house was cleared shows a troop (I seem to remember Fred was gunning Baz: wasn't he in Third with you? Or was he in First?) in such a field. The three vehicle were not entirely straight, since they were not on a formal firing point and although I was safely behind the trunnions of the vehicle I was beside in accordance with range safety rules, I was forward of the next one and desperately keen to get a picture of a round coming out of the barrel (in a cheap Kodak FFS). I remember hearing Fred shouting "FIRING NOW" and working the shutter in time, but it didn't work.

What do I find? Mushroom ventilators. Hah!