Tool for removing CVRT Torsion bars

Danny152

I have been told there is a special UNC threaded tool needed to remove the dowel type pin keeping the torsion bars in on a CVRT. 

Does anyone they have spare for sale, or provide drawing, photos etc so I can make one?

Thanks

Dan

Edited by Danny152
Spelling

Here's a picture of what I used to pull the pin.

It consisted of: short threaded rod in #10-32(or#10/24, but I think it's 32TPI), thread adapter to tie the allthread together., #10-32 allthread rod, deep socket (5-16"?), thick washer so the nut won't slip into the socket, #10-32 nut.

Actually, looking at it now, it night be the case the thread adapter is actually a nut to lock the allthread into the dowl. I'll see if I find the tool on the shelf and document it better, but it did work.

I had to replace the allthread a time or two since it can take a lot of force to remove those pins and I used what was on hand rather than buying high-strength rod to start..  It helps if you have someone wiggle the bar while you remove the nut.

I recall there's a grubscrew over the pin you have to remove first.

Torsion-retaining_pin_tool.JPG

Edited by teletech

basically it's a threaded rod to pull out the pin, but since the pins have been there a while, it takes some real force to do that, so you have to provide something for them to pull against. 

One could try using a slide-hammer, but I found slowly-increasing force valuable for overcoming the gelled grease consistency of crud in there.

This thread reminds me that I need to make some replacement pins to replace the ones that were damaged.

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Just hope you don't find that the proper pins have been replaced by plain rod which then needs drilling out from beneath the hull like I have!

Oh, OUCH.  That's gotta hurt.  I had to drill out a couple of mine, but at least they were the correct material and so had effectively a really good pilot hole.