TYRES

ruxy

Question

blackcircles.com

Are tyres illegal after 10 years?

Using tyres that are over 10 years old is not necessarily illegal, but it's not recommended for safety reasons. If your tyres are over 5 years old, it's important to have them checked by a professional to ensure they're still safe to use. Rubber can degrade over time, making the tyres more prone to failure and potentially causing accidents.

What is the maximum tyre age for MOT?

The maximum tyre age for an MOT is 10 years. If your tyres are over 5 years old, it's important to have them checked by a professional to ensure they're still safe to use. Rubber can deteriorate over time, potentially making the tyres more dangerous to use and preventing your vehicle from passing its MOT.

The above being a large on-line org. with much web-site info.   and the above is part copy-paste  (just try and find it)

QUOTE  ,  from above   The maximum tyre age for MOT is 10 years .     That's news to me  ,  is this TRUE / FALSE   ?   Comments.

5 answers to this question

A cursory glance at Google offers the following: from one of the tyre manufacturers:

There are currently no MOT rules surrounding tyre age for private passenger vehicles, but tyres over 10 years old at the time of the test will be failed if they are on any front steered axle, or any rear axle of a minibus with a single wheel fitment. 

From MOT Tester:

From 1st February 2021:
Tyres aged over 10 years will be banned on all single wheels of minibuses (with 9 – 16 passenger seats) along with the front axles of lorries, buses, coaches.

The legislation also applies to commercially operated vehicles – HGVs and PSVs Tested by DVSA.

I was / am aware of changes in recent years for tyres fitted to true 'commercials'  - PSV or 'plated & tested' , but not greatly interested (other than to state that I was involved with "condition monitoring" for many years of large mobile cranes and 'crane-carrier' tyres as a bolt on to LOLER.   Most of Blackcircles trade seems to be for passenger car - therefore I would expect some clarification on the subject of MOT & car tyres over the age of 10 years.  On this - presently my view of the statement by black circles is  -  UNTRUE.

58 minutes ago, ruxy said:

I would expect some clarification on the subject of MOT & car tyres over the age of 10 years.  O

I thought that's what I had given you above, "There are currently no MOT rules surrounding tyre age for private passenger vehicles", which is what I thought you had asked for, "from above   The maximum tyre age for MOT is 10 years .     That's news to me  ,  is this TRUE / FALSE   ?   Comments." 

The clarification -  that's just what blackcircles should have stated ( to what vehicles it is applicable - that you are wasting time booking in for a MOT with tyres over age of 10 years- , simply they have not.   This Forum - I asked for 'comments'  & I have followed up with mine - that it seems a large firm like blackcircles has posted  - misleading (at best) information , but of course they are selling tyres.

This issue was drawn to self by Son 2  who I had asked to follow up on my searches for a  NON-DIRECTIONAL  tyre to be fitted to a standard alloy rim that I have obtained -  for a car supplied with a 'space-saver'  or in my case a so called emergency inflation kit  LoL  It seems my choice of tyre is very limited and PRC manufacture , but at least it must be better than what I presently have.