Triumph 350 3HW information.

Tim L

Thanks for your reply Ron. Now that I have stripped it down I am realising how much needs to be done, and how much is missing. The brake plates for example, they have so many holes drilled in them I wonder if it wouldn't make more sense to replace them than repair them. I see one on e bay for £35, it just needs to be modified to take a speedo drive. then I look closer and the centre is different, it has a tube where the wheel axle sits whereas mine doesn't. Ace classics have one but it is aluminium, mine is steel. Mind you, not even sure if mine is original as the centre hole doesn't look right, surely there would have been something where the axle passes through to keep it all central and in line with the hub.

My front brake plate.jpg

Brake plate.webp

38 minutes ago, Ron said:

No powder coating for me Tim. Everything I've sprayed myself with synthetic paint. For the last 10 years or so, I've been using "single pack Polyurethane matt" from a local auto paint shop. 

Your frame is the standard Triumph lightweight frame. 

Ron

Well, it certainly looks good. I like the colour too. I was hoping to be a bit more accurate with a colour that it would have been during the war but without knowing where it served that is going to be difficult to find out. I have seen a company on line that are advertising military paint scheme paints for various vehicles so I will have to ask them if they can match it. I will be doing all mine with rattle cans though!

The correct colour for 1940 is Khaki Gas proof No3. At some point around 1942 the service colour was changed to "Service Brown" (Due to a shortage of one of the pigments to make Khaki Green) Then in 1944 "British Olive Drab" was adopted.

That brake plate you show is for a tele fork bike. The Triumph Girder stuff is extremely hard to find. You might have to get busy with the MIG or TIG welder!

DSCF2995.jpg

DSCF3128.jpg

DSCF3129 5SW (3).jpg

DSCF3502.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ron said:

The correct colour for 1940 is Khaki Gas proof No3. At some point around 1942 the service colour was changed to "Service Brown" (Due to a shortage of one of the pigments to make Khaki Green) Then in 1944 "British Olive Drab" was adopted.

That brake plate you show is for a tele fork bike. The Triumph Girder stuff is extremely hard to find. You might have to get busy with the MIG or TIG welder!

DSCF2995.jpg

DSCF3128.jpg

DSCF3129 5SW (3).jpg

DSCF3502.JPG

Thank you Ron, and thank you for the pictures. Beautiful bike. You are up early this morning.

I'm always up early. But today I'm off To Weymouth at 7am on my Model G. I'm one of the organsers of the military parade tomorrow for Veterans weekend. Ron

(Another Khaki bike)

DSCF5031 (2).JPG

10 minutes ago, Ron said:

I'm always up early. But today I'm off To Weymouth at 7am on my Model G. I'm one of the organsers of the military parade tomorrow for Veterans weekend. Ron

(Another Khaki bike)

DSCF5031 (2).JPG

Another lovely bike. Spent a lot of time in Weymouth as a child. Then Portland when I was in the Royal Navy. I wonder if my wife fancies a trip to Weymouth tomorrow!!! Will you be on the esplanade?

I've also had a long association with Weymouth/Portland. I've been involved with the veterans parade for over 30 years. It's a about a 35 mile ride from here, but this year I'm meeting up with a couple of other guys to ride/drive down together. Much nicer with company. Brekkie in a cafe on the seafront around 8am

I'd be inclined to block those holes from underneath with a lump of ally or copper and semi puddle fill the holes with mig and finish with body filler. Ron

15 minutes ago, Ron said:

I've also had a long association with Weymouth/Portland. I've been involved with the veterans parade for over 30 years. It's a about a 35 mile ride from here, but this year I'm meeting up with a couple of other guys to ride/drive down together. Much nicer with company. Brekkie in a cafe on the seafront around 8am

I'd be inclined to block those holes from underneath with a lump of ally or copper and semi puddle fill the holes with mig and finish with body filler. Ron

I was thinking that too. Weld from the back and fill from the front. Have a great day tomorrow, hopefully the weather will stay good for you all.

Just now, Tim L said:

I was thinking that too. Weld from the back and fill from the front. Have a great day tomorrow, hopefully the weather will stay good for you all.

We'll be forming up the 70 odd vehicles at Lodmoor and set off once we've got the nod from the police at around 11am for the full length of the esplanade and assemble on the beach and at the pavilion for static display. 

You'll find me ushering vehicles near the pavilion. Ron

1 hour ago, Ron said:

We'll be forming up the 70 odd vehicles at Lodmoor and set off once we've got the nod from the police at around 11am for the full length of the esplanade and assemble on the beach and at the pavilion for static display. 

You'll find me ushering vehicles near the pavilion. Ron

Hi Ron, won't be able to make Weymouth unfortunately. Do you have any other events coming up this year?