SimonBBC - electronic ignition; which 12 volt coil to use?

LarryH57

I am giving my Lwt Land Rover a pre-season service and I noted that the 12 volt coil I fitted with the electronic ingnition has failed. At the time 'simonBBC'  the producer / didtributing agent for the electronic ignition (circa 10 years ago) recommened a new coil to go with the new electronic ignition kit. But was it necessary? A new 12v coil from the spares box works well enough but is there a reason for a special coil to go with their electronic ignition? It wasn't much different in price so I bought one, but I wouldn't want the electronic ingnition to be ruined.

I am not sure if Simon BBC is still trtading?

Edited by LarryH57

A normal coil will work well enough with electronic ignition. I think the sales push for you to buy a matching coil was because electronic ignition can switch more current than CB points then a coil with lower resistance primary will give more output. Traditional CB points don't last too long if they are switching more than 3A.

I used a SimonBBC kit in my Shorland & it worked very well & that was just using the original coil. I did once ask them a fairly basic technical question about a coil & to their credit they admitted they had only a limited technical appreciation of the products that they sell. I appreciate their honesty rather some of the baloney given by some sellers of ignition components.

I've run my Ambulance on its standard 1974 dated coil for the past 14 years with no ill effect.

When I fitted a kit to the 2.25P in the 88in S1 last year I went with a fancy red powerspark one as I was getting kit/leads/plugs etc and freshening the engine up anyway. No real improvement that I can detect, they both start instantly and run beautifully as most fettled 2.25P do xD

Alec.