Tyre preservation

Hi all - just started some volunteering at a military museum. We have a few wheeled vehicles that have been sat outside for many years and tyres in particular are suffering. Considering fabricating some stands to reduce weight on tyres (the vehicles are static displays). Initially for Saracen, Saladin, Ferret, Pig.

1. Is there any info on safe jacking/support points?
  2. The Saracen/Saladin/Ferret have flat underside - but I'm not sure how strong. Could I use stands here as long as load is spread width of underside?
  3. Any suggestions for general tyre protection (e.g. coating to stop UV damage, cracking etc)?

Thanks in advance 

Move the vehicles around from time to time so the tyres don't flat spot. Keep them overinflated. Keep the UV off them, probably not practical but it is the main killer of little used tyres.

And if you have a spare driver's hatch torsion bar for a Saladin/Saracen our museum Saladin is in need of one. More accurately my arms need it!

gmb

There have been instances of tyres exploding in sunlight or vehicles kept inside. Tyre pressures have been known to nearly double on sunny days on vehicles kept behind glass. Tyre management does not stop even if the vehicle rarely moves. A good coat of tyre black does help, or other propriety products. For safety blocking the vehicle up either with axle stands or wood blocks is prudent. Keep a tyre foot print on the ground for vehicle stability but reduce the air pressure in the tyre. Turning the tyres periodically will help to stop sidewall cracking. On a flat bottom vehicle look inside of the hull for any ribs or strength braces and work with the hull, spread the load. 

there are a number of options when supporting  vehicles off the ground axle stands which need to be checked blocks of wood or the one which l would chose concrete solid blocks A number of things has been tried with tyres on vehicles that are static and out side one was to fill with a foam painting does not stop the deterioration as there are a number of factors that also effect them out side l have had a lot of experience with vehicles inside and outside in a long term static role .

Edited by wally dugan

Tyre management is about slowing down deterioration, It is about taking mitigating measures. Several Museums closed for short periods last year because of worries about vehicle tyres. Some bits below from my tool box when I used to look after tyres.

SAM_2077.JPG

Edited by john1950
addition

Thanks for the feedback chaps. Sadly tyres are the state where inflation on hold - especially for vehicles with split rims. I think they are all immobile now so tricky to stop flat spots. Maybe we can jack and rotate a wheel at a time if transmission allows. I'd like to get most weight off but leave tyres in contact (for stability and aesthetics) and then hopefully a low pressure safe fill will be ok.  I've only recently managed to get the Saracen open and no obvious structural ribs visible without removing floor I suspect. I'd like to avoid wooden sleepers as expensive and will rot, concrete blocks have potential though suspect expensive for anything suitable structural. Currently thinking of using commercial underpinning jacks or even scaffold jacks as they are rated for 4 or 6 ton and relatively cheap. Foam filling probably a good idea though probably too cash strapped.

You have to go with whatever is affordable. Whichever way you go stay safe. Sometimes a trip to a local scrapyard or demolition yard will pay dividends or even a Sawmill. 

Thinking Saracen/Saladin/Ferret as in the original post, you cannot jack up one wheel and turn it. You have to jack up the whole side. (And have the transmission in neutral).

Do not discount sleepers, our Saladin has been on sleepers for 10 years because of the soft, damp ground where she sits. There has been no noticeable degradation of said sleepers which are under the edges of the hull. They are to stop her sinking into the ground rather than tyre preservation in our case.

gmb

I have seen a few sleepers for sale recently, they were mostly sporting long splits. When you look at good ones the price doubled so making it very expensive. Another to go may be used telegraph poles and cut them to length.