Key Cards, Disposal Catalogues ..and Velocette MDD

andy1960

I have noticed on this and other social media forums many interested parties have collected /collated Post War Key Cards and Vehicle Disposal Sale catalogues relating to many different types of ex military vehicles .This information has provided  many  vehicle owners with extra information relating to their vehicle/motorcyle and I also benefited with  identification of the the correct C number for a BSA M20  (Thanks Lex !).....

I was wondering if anyone had any information relating to Velocette motorcycles as I do not recall seeing it mentioned before.

I have a Velocette MDD that was civilian registered by Cheshire Council on 14 April 1958 as part of a batch of 3 vehicles registered by a local garage.  I assume it was around this time it was demobed, purchased from ex military auction by the garage and registered for road use. So... where there any disposal sales near Chester and would anyone have any cataloges showing Velocette sales I wonder ? Also does anyone have Key Cards with Velocettes noted on them ? 

404302902_738748824288157_5723840004267563802_n.jpg

• Like 2

As far as I know there were no Velocettes used by the Army after 1948, when the ERM system came into being, so no Key Cards, your date maybe suggests otherwise, and there is always a chance, but I haven't got them, just checked the RLC info that they gave me, and nothing there either. Searching through sales catalogues might get you somewhere, but they aren't online, and it's too much work to digitalise them, I have a lot of Ruddington ones, but mostly M20's and G3L's in there, plus the postwar bikes.

Ask Wally Dugan here, he has a lot! or check with what he already posted in the history part of this forum.

Cheers,

Lex

Andy this is what l have  found between 1945 and 1949 the following VELOCETTE's all listed as 350cc and out of sales of twenty thousand vehicles of all types one's with wartime census numbers two 4322657 sold for seventy pound 4322914 instructional  velo sixty five pounds cannot have much cut the following are all with civilian numbers FTF 176 all the following  ENP 653/887/233/662/855/883/861 /661 CAW 925/CUX344/JNU399/ EWU/383 /FTE669/668/443/362.      checking  those motorcycles declared wrecks and sold as lots there are a number listed As said the BSA/NORTON/MATCHLESS/ARIEL/ JAMES/ TRIUMPHS and AMERICIAN  made ones out number the VELOCTTE'S        A quick check of post 49 catalogues shows and  is showing the  abundance BSA and others again the number2 key cards look like the result may show a lack of VELOCETTE'S l will look further and let you know

wally

/

Edited by wally dugan
  • Like 2

The two bikes with WD serial numbers that Wally noted are MDD's (MAC WD)

Veloce did NOT follow the traditional fashion of numbering the bikes in frame number sequence. Colin Goodwyn of the VOC has the ledgers and gave me the correct number for mine and some of it's war time history.

But Andy will know this anyway.  Ron👍 

DSCF4341 (2).JPG

• Like 1

Hi Wally...thanks for the reply ...yes I was just wondering if anything Velocette  showed up in any sales catalogues or key cards  as they wher never a quantity  supplier....... Then as a follow on.... if by some remote chance any Velocette  made it into the 1950s  still in service.  Most Velocette MDD  that I know of ,including my other restored one ,came out around 1944/5.. so  I was curious as to why the one pictured was so late being registered .