Unusual ERM

10FM68

Question

OK, here we go again.  I came across this image (ack to Getty Images) of a Cromwell.  It is post war, probably somewhere sandy and it has an --SA-- ERM.  According to what I have read, SA didn't exist as an ERM but may have been used by the South Africans (though I can't see why the South Africans might wish to use British military registration numbers after 1950, but still).  What do others think and does anyone have a solution?

r.jpg.fa2a0078a250d19ee5890e18883d7334.jpg

On the subject of ERMs, --KM-- is interesting.  Again, according to what I have read, it was used for British Army vehicles in Kenya and possibly also vehicles entered manually into Merlin - though what that means I don't know.  But,  they seem to me to appear on lease-hire vehicles - the RE 'C vehicle' fleet, saloon cars and the like.  Again, does anyone know for sure?

Edited by 10FM68

3 hours ago, Noel7 said:

It seems to have been used for for trials and testing of 'production' prototypes as distinct from the manufacturers' development prototypes which usually seem to have had civilian registrations. "British Military Trucks of the Cold War" shows, for example, 00SP44, a Militant FV11047 with sides and tailgate removed to carry containers, 00SP62, one of four prototype  heavy recovery tractors 00SP60-00SP63 based on Militant 3 chassis and tested at FVRDE, and 01SP16, a Land Rover 1 ton forward control prototype.

Just a thought, but were the civilian registration marks being used prior to the dismemberment of the Ministry of Supply and the SP marks come in subsequently?  

Yes following the demise of the Ministry of Supply in 1959, the Inspectorate of Fighting Vehicles and Mechanical Equipment was formed in 1962.

00 SP 01 (Car Utility 4x2 Hillman Husky) was registered to IFVME Pinehurst. So that give a time line for the start of SP.  I assume Pinehurst was Aldershot or Farnborough?

There were many examples of the Humber 1 Ton with civilian registrations undergoing trials in the MoS era.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fv1609 said:

Yes following the demise of the Ministry of Supply in 1959, the Inspectorate of Fighting Vehicles and Mechanical Equipment was formed in 1962.

00 SP 01 (Car Utility 4x2 Hillman Husky) was registered to IFVME Pinehurst. So that give a time line for the start of SP.  I assume Pinehurst was Aldershot or Farnborough?

There were many examples of the Humber 1 Ton with civilian registrations undergoing trials in the MoS era.

Thank you for that, Clive.  That's a really interestng and useful contribution which may have run that particular fox to ground.  Talking of foxes, one of the dogs has just come back from his walk having rolled in badger poo - God, he stinks!

1 hour ago, 10FM68 said:

Thank you for that, Clive.  That's a really interesting and useful contribution which may have run that particular fox to ground. 

I often feel that the Ministry of Supply had a parallel existence to Victorian times with the Commissariat, both being civilian organisations.

(Thread drift: Pre-Crimea the Commissariat was under the direct control of the Treasury. Post-Crimea under the control of the Secretary of State for War. The intricacies were alluded to in the rendition of "A Modern Major-General" in Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance.)   

10 hours ago, BlueBelle said:

Another unusual ERM, on a Cromwell 1 used for training, one of 30  'pre-duction' (the caption states) models made in mild steel. Not Libya, not really my topic, but I thought it may interest others.

That 'ERM' is in fact a civilian trade plate issued in Derby, so without doubt it would have been issued to Rolls Royce when they were road testing the new Meteor engine. There is a good book about this and how they often road tested.around the area of their workshops.

• Thanks 1