Land Rover wheels

LarryH57

I have searched the web and seen 6.50 x 16s available in places like Malaysia or Indonesia  and if they had the military tread pattern, which I think was something like Goodyear ZXL, it would be good if someone could import them, as there are still a great number of Lwts on Uk roads.

231601  was the LWT & civvy  88" rim & had a riveted nave ,   it would be after LWT production ceased that this 5.50 wheel received a welded nave and therefore a new part No.  The original Classic Range Rover tyres were 205R16 ,  rolling dia. same as a  6.50 but the section width is greater. However the ideal wheel rim is the 5.50 as fitted to 109"  ,  probably even better is to use a post Defender 90"  PUMA rim which is suitable for tubeless radial tyres.

There were some  6.50x16  NDT being imported for Jeep & they had E Conformity ,  IIRC some were branded as Firestone.

A 205 80R16  is the more modern size and the treadway should be just inside the overall LWT 60".  This slight change of aspect ratio seems to have made some products slightly wider than others - best try one on a rim for check.

These radial tyres give a bit of extra softness to suspension when you have 7 leaf springs , you will find a slight difference in steering but not all need more effort.  Semperit (Austria) did a good 205 which had bias to snow.

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/x-m-plus-s-244/205/80/R16/T/104/m?tyre=40946762&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsIv1i77YggMV3YhQBh0dgwy5EAQYASABEgLlBvD_BwE

Ruxy, remind me, do imported tyres have to have an E marking on them to be road legal in the Uk?

Explain the concept  and why it might not be a good idea for example to be in a foreign country (like Cyprus or Malaysia) and see some tyres of the right size and have them shipped home (obviously not as hand luggage)

Edited by LarryH57

AFAIK   - to legally sell , they must have E conformity marking even though we are now BREXIT. A personal import providing you pay duties , by some loophole you would probably be in clear , however if involved in RTA - your insurance would probably be void.    However to import for 're-sale' tyres without E , then that would be a grey import that does not conform to Sale of Goods Act etc.

However - I am a mere retired insurance engineer who attended the odd tyre safety course (in relation to mobile cranes/carriers)   & one of my best mates who was a Trading Standards Inspector has been deceased abt. 10 years.

So I guess, anyone on HMVF who is promising to import tyres for WW2 era vehicles with the correct tread must be asking for an E marking on the new imports too? Do vehicles on with historic status at the DVLA get special treatment? Also do you get an E marking on a tyre for a 100 (plus) year old vehicle, with the first inflatable tyres and tubes?

Someone on here dealing with replacement tyres must know. Why should my Historic Lwt be any different?

Edited by LarryH57

AFAIK   E Conformity confirms both EU and International standards bound by the UN  (thus UNECE)  and the big stick is wielded on the person selling (resale) - ultimatedly he is the one (if proven) liable in event of a malfunction.  Brake hoses are subject of ECE & J marking.  Likewise brake friction materialm performance  (although there is approx. 10% tolerance).  So your Britpart brake hose will be as good out of a LR box or a Delphi etc. box - it's just the £ profit some make.

I have been watching tyres sold for Jeeps for several years - most are 6.00x16 but also some 6.50x16 , the next point to watch is the  single axle loading marked on sidewall.  2 or 3 years ago they started entering UK  marked E  , often two options - the  one costing a few more £ marked as Firestone.

Remould and Re-cap tyres seem to be getting the E treatment ,  a few years ago these were only subject to a B.S.  AU number  (that I forget).    The makers tyre spec. books (some by leading makes , mainly C commercial tyres) some I have going back to abt. 1980  , the tables all being the same - origins  ETRTO  (European Tyre & Rim Technical Organisation) , hence BREXIT regarding tyres does and in future will mean zilch - standards are too far entrenched , obviously public safety means all..

Nip over to France for some  7.00x16 , a far better size for a LWT than 7.50x16  (and does not need a change to speedo head) , shop around - you should find them lots £ cheaper.

Approx.  2 years ago I read a article about the Series One  LR  "REBORN" vehicles ,  starting at £80K +++  for a repaired chassis from OZ fitted with lots and lots of spurious parts and for 6.00x16  - they were fitting new Bar-grip / NDT

https://pneucollection.com/en/military-4x4/1167006469-tire-firestone-700-16-100n-ndt.html

On 11/27/2023 at 9:47 AM, LarryH57 said:

Only £1,872 (including VAT,) for a set of 5 tyres. Not far off the value of a Lwt in the days when the Army got rid of petrol powered vehicles!

I'll ask my man to go and get them!

But it's 20+ years since MVS handled the S3 fleet disposals m, £ inflation during this period  ?

MVS  -  £2K would have been average / good but not VGC ,  a low mileage Minta unblemished was £3K

Presently - £ have slid back - but average / good (unmolested) - you are looking at £8K to £10K private  &  if you can find a genuine low mileage minta with MOD service record - then the £ valuation would be well north of that for S3.

These Super-Traxion should be a good long lasting tyre , or tire as they are U.S. manufacture and arguably their standards will exceed the UK / Euro. minimum requirements of E Conformity, they are expensive , the £ is high but probably enter UK on a pallet not in a 40ft container.  It would be interesting to see what private import £ would be for a set of 5  (but I always use old tyres for spares).