RAF Beaverette with strange plough?

LarryH57

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

This image appeared on FB.  Not a Beaverette but an interesting mod.  Does anyone know for what specific purpose these vehicles were developed?

Weren't they built for ground-training aircraft turret crews?

Thank you for both helpful replies.  The absence of fitted armour certainly suggested a role short of combat.  Do we know if these trucks were stationary; or were they used as mobile training platforms in some enormous and unpopulated desert?  As the article notes, the shotgun training vehicle was used on-the-move: but this would seem less likely for the twin MG turret.

As an aside, the Sperry-trainer must have been something of a challenge!

All the best and thanks again.

A

g506_12.jpg

2 hours ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Do we know if these trucks were stationary; or were they used as mobile training platforms

Stationary in this photo:-

A posed photograph, but interesting as it shows jacks being installed under the front bumper to stabilize the vehicle. Note the placard with the number “4” in front of the turret.g506_07_chevye5.jpg.d75c04e3c8a2507128d5f4574efb8f8f.jpg

The link has some great images.  If I had looked a little closer at this picture - rather than being seduced by the turret images - I think I could probably have answered my own question.  Good to see the risk assessment meant the jeep carrying the target was unmanned whilst traversing the range!

g506_10_jeeptargetftmyers.jpg

23 hours ago, Adrian Dwyer said:

Thank you for both helpful replies.  The absence of fitted armour certainly suggested a role short of combat.  Do we know if these trucks were stationary; or were they used as mobile training platforms in some enormous and unpopulated desert?  As the article notes, the shotgun training vehicle was used on-the-move: but this would seem less likely for the twin MG turret.

As an aside, the Sperry-trainer must have been something of a challenge!

All the best and thanks again.

A

g506_12.jpg

And here is another phase of ball-gunner training <https://www.facebook.com/planehistoria>

436353999_453689100505271_4286636242233622255_n.jpg