6v jeep overcharging

Scaley

My 42 GPW is showing 50A on the ammeter as soon as the revs are increased, I’ve confirmed this with an amp clamp. So far I’ve replaced the generator, solid state regulator and battery, I’ve also disconnected the filterette ammeter and still have 50A on my clamp. I’ve run out of ideas. The earths are all good, I’ve even tried extra earths. Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas?

must be regulator, assuming both the regulator and generator are the correct voltage items? Make sure voltage sensing and battery charging wiring is good and free from resistance-oh and just make sure polarity has not been reversed anyware.Did it just happen on its own, or after doing some work?

I’ve already replaced the regulator and it made no difference. I then fitted the original to a mates jeep and it worked. I’ve got good continuity with no shorts on the wires and I checked the polarity when I fitted the new generator. I noticed it on easter sunday as I had major oil leak on the oil filter housing all over that side of the engine bay. Unfortunately I also had a heart attack the same weekend which is why it’s taken until now to look at it. I’ve run out of ideas and slowly money.

You have replaced the obvious candidates. Now time to think outside the box.

What about the battery?

Do you have a wiring short somewhere? You say you have no wiring shorts, but where are you measuring the 50A with the clamp meter?

Have you checked that the generator and regulator are correctly matched? If they are not, you can get max rate charge.

Have you verified the wiring between gen and reg is correct?

Had this with a costumers jeep have you cleaned all the oil out of the generator this will create a short some were inside and can be difficult to get out i had to dismantle the gen and put it on brake cleaner this included the field coils inside the body of the gen skim the commutator up on a lath and fit new carbon brushes that's what i would do you will have to let all the brake cleaner evaporate and don't leave it soaking over night you could also get the armature re dipped in shellack to stop any shorts     hope this helps all the best jerry image.jpeg.c9bfd592f40ec59ecab80bba20a397f5.jpegimage.jpeg.7dea45d397ec0549d3ef278fbca4c5e4.jpeg