Rover 8/9 GS Oil Cooler

19GLN

Hi all,

I was always of the belief that the oil cooler was fitted as standard to all Rover 8s and 9s. A friend of mine believes that this was only the case for 24V FFR models and not 12V GS variants, and indeed a couple of pictures I found seem to confirm this. Has anyone got any more information? Would oil coolers be fitted to GS vehicles only if operating in hot climates such as Aden?

04DM62.jpg

26DM01.JPG

If you have the Parts Book for S2A  military vehicles specifically   (Rover 10 & 11 was a different book)  - then their is a lift of all Contract Nos. at the front , along with other code   - you can then  accurately work out exactly how the vehicles were built up.

IIRC  -  the best way is if you know the Chassis No.   then you can fit it into the 'range' of chassis numbers for a Contract.  Then there is a list of letters  - such as B  = moe or less a civilian 'basic' truck.  The Parts book for Rovers 10 & 11 - does not list the range from / to chassis Nos.

I do have a copy of the Rover 8/9 parts book, but it makes no mention as to which contracts these were fitted on. The only mention of contracts made is regards to variations concerning its set up such as the thermometer brackets (different between 12V and 24V contracts). My 88 was part of contract KL/H/01305, thus an early Rover 8/2. 

IMG_4029.jpeg

It looks as if you have AC No.20873, this was meant to be used in conjunction with parts peculiar lists that bore their own AC No. for specific contracts. These are a couple I have but don't cover your contract I'm afraid.

IMG_20230706_104548.thumb.jpg.5b285a7d51954c9e1c8267b00cd8c261.jpg

Hhmm   - first you query your friends Rover , then you give details of your Rover .

So - I can only give my opinion for your Rover & that is not the question  ?

Page  (iv)    of Army Code  20873  (revised Oct.  1970)

Land Rovers  6,8, 8/2. 9,  9/1

88" Contract  KL/H/01305  -  that was for in the main RHD  Basic Utility,   Chassis Nos.  24100204A  to  24103694A  (this is the bulk  =  Item 1)  -  all 12 volt.

However there were also 3  qty. other Item Nos.  

Item 2.  CAR UTILITY  88"  Chassis    24402770

Items  3 & 4  were LHD  sw  (Station Wagons)   24402771  &  24403053  it seems these  3 qty.  were  LHD &  12 volt

They were all  Contract Code  E   (8/2  (  /2  =  reinforced axles)

So  -  I then go to Page  433 etc  (Oil Coolers)   -  here I can see there are Oil Cooler components and there are deviations for some specific parts that include  Contract Code E vehicles -  so your truck did have a oil cooler.

Obviously if your friend has a S2A of another Contract No.  - then the above has s.f.a.  accuracy  !

Thank you for the insightful information. My Rover 8 (04 DM 59) would therefore be Item 1 if I'm understanding correctly. My friend's is also from the same contract and slightly earlier than mine (03 DM __ not sure of the last two numbers), and to my knowledge also spent its service life in Malta.

My friend in question also has a 24V FFR Rover 8 (EK reg but unsure of the contract) which has its original oil cooler still fitted. I believe the radiator panel had additional holes drilled in to accommodate the oil cooler as per pictures below. His GS truck also has the exact same pattern holes and so does mine (not sure if this was factory standard for such military trucks or if done whilst in service). I also used to own another GS 12V model a couple years back (09 EK 12 from contract WV496) which also had identical pattern holes in the radiator panel.

IMG_4021.jpeg

IMG_4023.jpeg

On another note, I presume if a 12V GS model was fitted with an oil cooler its connections and pipe routings would be slightly different (perhaps additional pattern holes, brackets or clips on the inner passenger wing? ). 

My question is: is there anything additional I can observe that can indicate that an oil cooler might had possibly been fitted? (perhaps having been in a warmish climate such as Malta's may indicate such) 

The military oil cooler - it's just a civvy Optional Parts item,  just that the FFR fan belting pulleys , idler etc. are specific military .  Cooler pipework port/starboard holes are provided for civvy or military in radiator panel - a civilian would not have to cut holes..  The holes on top of radiator panel - IIRC  are just to fit the rectangular packing bars.    A S2A  Rover mark 12 volt front wings are same as FFR and have all steel reinforcements on underside.  likewise the tub is same military type  - not provided for spare wheel mounting as the small Jerry can for lubricating oil is situated there , also the wings have steel reinforcements to mount a candlestick radio antenna base.  Due to possibility of engine changes - you could have lost spcific oil cooler parets.   From the chassis NO. placed within the 'chassis range' - this gives the Parts Code and if a page states it had oil cooler parts - then it left Solihull with a cooler.   In the UK - a civvy would only fit a oil cooler & 8 blade fan kit if he had a usage similar to a FFR  , static operation on hand throttle high revs.  such as running a flat-belt drive to a circular saw bench running for hours at a time.  Such as a  101" would have a Enots isolation valve to cooler , I have fitted one to a Lightweight in past & would only open it for heavy caravan/trailer towing for long distances.  Water & Anti-freeze is top end cooling & oil is bottom end cooling .  Due to improvements in engine oil from abt. 1980 +  the 12 volt Lightweight no longer had a factory fitted oil cooler.  There are many photographs of  KA to KD  S3 Rovers used at Op. Granby - high temperatures ambient during daytime - no problem.  These  5mb engines - the advised oil was 15W/40.

• Like 1