Jeep con rod pal nuts

Piston Broke

Help! Got to the point of adding the pal nuts onto the con rods in my Jeep engine rebuild (actually a post-war French bitsa with Hotchkiss block, Ford con rods etc.).  The manual says to get them until they "seal", then turn a further full turn.  My pal nuts are thin pressed steel affairs and I took seal to mean making contact with the main nut.  I assumed they went flat side  onto the main nut, but when I attempted to then give them a further turn, the pal nut just bent out of shape.  What am I doing wrong and how tight should they be?

Normally PAL lock nuts (modern metric ones) are tightened 1/3 to 1/2 of a turn past when they contact the full nut. This should result in th flat face of the PAL nut distorting slightly. If there is no distortion there is no spring tension to keep it locked.
Do you have a manufacturer and part number (not supplier stock number) for the nuts? This should give a route to data on the correct use of that particular nut.

Robert.

I rebuilt my engine last year and used this guide (as well as million YouTube videos..!)

About halfway down the second page you will see a couple of captions on lock nuts, I followed this and it all seems fine

Finger tight, then a further 1/3 turn..

Engine build link