Re; The Ferret Sarting Problems

Sylvester

Question

Hi Folks, :wave:

Now...If one of the Batteries is up the swanny!! ie...Won't hold a charge/won't charge up fully at all even after a overnight charge!! :banghead:

Would I be right in assuming that this would cause a virtual break in the system???

ie... The Liights come on, then when you go to operate the starter the lights dim or go out completely!! now not even getting the occasional 'Clunk' from the starter solenoid!!

I did drop a almighty clanger!.. Did not keep a good eye on my battery levels...They had both evaporated over the summer periods!! :redfaced: :banghead:Not completely dry ...but very very naughty :whistle:

Will keep an eye on them in future! :flower:

I'm all ears! :help:

All the Beast

Fred & Annika :banana: :yay:

Most people I speak to, don't bother. Must admit that I intended to but haven't. Are there any opinions or horror stories on here

Hi Dave, :tup:

Yeah! The reason my dynamo needed to be renovated was because the geezer who had it before me ....Didn't Bother! It all dryed up and buggered the wokins a treat! :banghead:

I recomend...Give it a squirt or two!! I normally just squirt about 3 or4 good long plundger fulls in!

Will be over t see you some time soon! Though now it will probably have t be in the New Year eh! :whistle:

All the Beast

A classic example of what was beaten into me'Good oil and grease are cheaper than repairs!'

How True Tony...How True!! :-D

I must admit I use the same theory at work...Prevention is easier than cure!!

All the Beast

Very true, started a bus and all hell let loose. Smoke, Crap flying everywhere, oil all over the place, took ten years off me. When it was in the workshop, a dustbin full of oil was taken out of the engine. The cleanears at the time were responsible for oil and water. The Numpty had filled the oil through the dipstick tube till the oil ran out. When the Chief engineer somewhat virulently inquired of the cleaning supervisor what happened the reply was 'we thought we were getting through a lot of oil last night'.

There is such a thing as too much of a good thing! I d be careful not to over do it on the lubricant as it cant be that good if you put to much in either .

Not a problem as the oil drains into the sump. BTW early Humber User Handbooks did not give this topping up with engine oil advice. It was introduced later, presumably as the result of problems with dynamo gearbox failure. Generally if that fails the dynamo will still produce output but the 2-speed operation goes & you can't charge below 1000 rpm.

Its worth trying to preserve the gearbox as when you look at the EMER for a rebuild, it looks mighty complicated.

I Quite agree, thats why I just give it a squirt or 3!... Mind you, the old girl probably burns that little amount off after a good run eh! :whistle:

The bloke in lucas shop, said it was just enough to cover the lower outlet hole so as to aid with the vacum effect of drawing the oil through the gearbox...I follow advice when it may save me a lot of pennies!! :redfaced:

All the Beast and HAPPY CRIMBO toALL :-D :-D :-D :-D :tup:

I Quite agree, thats why I just give it a squirt or 3!...The bloke in lucas shop, said it was just enough to cover the lower outlet hole so as to aid with the vacum effect of drawing the oil through the gearbox

Fred, I don't think a few squirts is really enough. Should be 1/4 pint of engine oil, this is the capacity of the dynamo gearbox which needs to be filled at start up. It is not so much sucked down into the sump but fed in at the top from the main gallery & takes "a few minutes" to get circulating through. Once going it flows at about 1/4 gallon a minute.

Not like the Ferret owner in the States who contacted me about his generator not charging. After ascertaining what model genny it was and what the story was , he said that he had topped up the generator as had been told, but it had stopped charging since then. He had only poured it in the mesh vent...all over the armature. It had to be stripped and washed out. Apparantly he did not have a manual to read up on it :rtfm:

Fred, I don't think a few squirts is really enough. Should be 1/4 pint of engine oil, this is the capacity of the dynamo gearbox which needs to be filled at start up. It is not so much sucked down into the sump but fed in at the top from the main gallery & takes "a few minutes" to get circulating through. Once going it flows at about 1/4 gallon a minute.

Clive, :-D

Its OK mate, that squirt or 3 usually brings the level to the top of the hole as I tend to start the old girl up fairly regular....When its got BATTERIES !!! :whistle:

Thanks ,

Fred :tup: