cracked tyres

tankdiver

I was looking at a programe the other week on the police and mot failures . If a tyre is cracked with age , the driver of the vehicle could be fined  £2500 and points on their licence  per tyre

When I have seen the state of some of the vehicle tyres at shows  .  Tyre Paint will not  make it MOT legal .

Keep safe replace old tyres

It isn't always because the owner is too tight to buy new ones. A friend was forced to use 60+ year old tyres because there was nothing available to replace them with unless he fitted ribbed tyres front and rear. Not safe on a motorcycle and looks really stupid on a vintage bike.

Its hard for  vintage military owner with 60+  year old vehicles but there are tyres out there .Unfortunately the law does not take prisoners.  Cracked tyres can be used on prvate land or have the vehicle transported to various sites. I would encourage  tyre companies to help us , sometimes they do a run on various redundant tyres.

15 hours ago, Dog Blamer said:

It isn't always because the owner is too tight to buy new ones. A friend was forced to use 60+ year old tyres because there was nothing available to replace them with unless he fitted ribbed tyres front and rear. Not safe on a motorcycle and looks really stupid on a vintage bike.

Whilst sympathising with your friend’s dilemma, it shouldn’t need pointing out that 60+ year old tyres are not safe on a motorcycle either.

16 hours ago, Noel7 said:

No-one is "forced" to use 60+ year old tyres. If replacements are not available, there is always the alternative of taking the bike off the road, which is no doubt unwelcome to the owner, but safer for him and everyone else...

The bike's top speed is less than 40mph. These tyres were passing MOT's without issue.... I did buy him a new tyre when they finally came available. As far as I know he hasn't changed it yet! He's had that bike since 1960.

I remember a story about a chap who bought a set of new old stock tyres and was warned that they were not safe and should only be used for display. He put them on and used them... one let go and caused a crash that killed him. Think the car was an Austin Healey. 

Edited by Dog Blamer