Triumph 3hw handlebar grips

Roberto

Hi everyone,

I'm Roberto from Italy, I'm restoring a Triumph 3hw year 1944 and I found a lot of useful information in this forum.

Can anyone tell me if somewhere you can find reproductions of the handlebar grips like the ones in the photo?

I believe they are made of jute.

Thanks in advance. Roberto

20052154-26.jpg

You could Stuart Bray. He has officially retired and I'd winding down, but his website is still in place, with his contact details. I'm fairly sure he had some a while back

• Like 1

I usually don't like the repro's, I have been making my own canvas grips for the last years, have the brass rings turned on a lathe (later canvas grips, around 1944/45 had steel rings) and find some suitably coloured canvas, and glue everything together, put the seam on the bottom, where it's least notable, works for me.

I wind some electrical tape around it, so it stays nicely glued on, remove after a day or so.

Lex

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

You first should measure your handlebars, Triumph had strange sizes on their handlebars, like 1" in the middle, and smaller 7/8" at the ends. 

For a 7/8" throttle side, the inside diameter of the throttle grip is usally 1" 

I can measure more sizes if you want.

Picture of the dummy grip, the left hand side I also made.

Lex

IMG_2693.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/23/2022 at 12:34 PM, welbike said:

I usually don't like the repro's, I have been making my own canvas grips for the last years, have the brass rings turned on a lathe (later canvas grips, around 1944/45 had steel rings) and find some suitably coloured canvas, and glue everything together, put the seam on the bottom, where it's least notable, works for me.

I wind some electrical tape around it, so it stays nicely glued on, remove after a day or so.

Lex

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

Lex,

Do you have dimensions for the brass rings?

Kostas

1 hour ago, welbike said:

That was a while ago! but I will see if I have any left over from that restoration, also note, that only bikes between appx. 1942 and 1944 had brass crimped rings, after that is was just crimped tin, that was painted brown or green.

Lex

Lex,

It is for a 3/1942 Triumph 3HW so definitely brass!!

Many thanks,

Kostas

Edited by Ferrarakias

On 1/4/2023 at 5:56 PM, Ron said:

Yes Triumph used those longer grips like Ariel. From memory 7" long,  (6" on the twistgrip)  I'll measure later. I also added cable info on the other thtread.  Ron

DSCF2143 (2).jpg

Ron,

Thank you so much, I do have the original twistgrip so will measure the distance and make 1" longer for the dummy one.

Regards,

Kostas