Triumph rattle

Ron

My 5SW has an annoying timing train rattle. I've replaced everything that I can with the engine in the frame... ie bushes in the timing case cover-cams-idler pinion and its spindle-rebore and new piston-small end bush etc. 

So now decided to strip the engine for further examination. Not a great deal wrong, but there is a bit of slop in the cam bushes in the crank case and some very slight unevenness to the cam follower surfaces. Which will need seeing to. I'll also take another look at the valve guides.

I'll use the opportunity to take the gearbox out for stripping and examination as I suspect some wear to the running bushes and the kickstart bush is definitely worn and leaking.

Ron

DSCF4433.JPG

DSCF4435.JPG

DSCF4437.JPG

• Like 1

While I'm at it and as it's now easy to remove the gearbox I thought I'd take a look inside as the gears don't change without a snick. I can see that the previous owner has fitted new bearings ( a sealed one at the clutch end).

I've pressed the layshaft and kickstart bushes out and hoping to acquire these and a few other parts, off the shelve, but some are not that readily available so may have to be made.  Ron

DSCF4448.JPG

Edited by Ron
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally acquired all the bushes I needed and new plungers and springs for the gear change mechanism. So back onto the engine rebuild. New camshaft bushes, valve guides and springs are already done. Flywheels have been trued up also.  Ron

DSCF4470.JPG

DSCF4472.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is nearly back together now and I even managed to acquire a new clutch basket/chainwheel to go with the recently new plates and rollers. It's surprising how much effect it had on the chain lengths as I had to let go the rear chain to move the gearbox forward enough to join the correct 75 link primary chain. But on further checking I realized that my rear chain only had 90 links instead of the required 91. Fortunately I had the extra link. 

The timing rattle appears to be gone, or at least to the point of a normal rattle. Which means that the renewal of the cam bushes in the crankcase was well worth the effort. Ron

DSCF4500.JPG

• Like 2