Hard Rubber Tyre sizes and fit

mammoth

My current project with the 1911 Dennis fire engine will involve not just the building of wood wheels but the steel bands that tie those wheels tight and making of the press on tyres. The pressing off and on of hard rubber tyres is documented elsewhere in this forum but what makes for the correct interference fit? As it happens the new addition to the library - Mechanical Road Transport by Conradi, pub 1923 - has all the answers and the relevant chapter is below.

In precis

the wheel sizes which became the British standard are 670mm; 720; 771; 850; 881. American sizes are also provided and explained.

Given that diameter measurements can be a bit wobbly the critical measurements are provided for wheel circumference and tyre internal circumference with the interference created by a tyre circumference at least 3mm less. There is a chart for the range of presures required to press on a tyre for each size etc

Interestingly Conradi predicted that synthetic rubber would not catch on commercially to any great extent.

hard TYRES specs.pdf

• Like 5

Mike, I can't see the problem with that, especially as all the surviving presses designed for the job would still be calibrated (if they were ever calibrated that is) in tons. The Americans are probably still using units of 1,000 lbs. I wouldn't know what a kilopascal was if it ran over me. haha.

• Like 3

On 2/22/2022 at 6:56 AM, mammoth said:

Given that diameter measurements can be a bit wobbly the critical measurements are provided for wheel circumference and tyre internal circumference with the interference created by a tyre circumference at least 3mm 

This turns out to be easier than you might imagine. There is a lot to be learned from Engels Coach Shop: Measuring wheels and tyres is only part of this. 

50 seconds after the linked start you will know how to measure and size tyre bands. 

Also in this video is an example of pressing tyres on to wheels with a layer of canvas to tighten it up, which I have heard of used in our context too.