Fuel not getting to fuel filter - therefore not to pump (Willis Hotchkiss m201)

steev

How is the gasket in your firewall fuel filter? If the bowl doesn't seal well to the lid, the pump will suck air in here and you won't be able to draw fuel from the tank. I had to replace mine last year.

Perhaps if you've had the tank out for some work, the fuel filter gasket has dried out, shrunk or distorted and is no longer sealing properly. If you disconnect the pump from the tank, and add a pipe straight into a bottle of fuel, will the pump suck up the fuel?

Also, you haven't run E10 petrol through it have you. That may have damaged the fuel pump.

It's possible the diagram in the fuel  pump has failed but it's more likely that there's a blockage or leaking joint in the fuel pipe .....or simply bad fuel

So get some rubber pipe and disconnect the fuel pump before the fuel filter ..add the hose and put it into a jam jar or fuel canister  of fresh E5 fuel or high octane..turn the engine and see if you draw fuel in to the fuel pump ..if it draws you know you have a working fuel pump ..if not disconnect the hose at the fuel pump..if it fails to draw you know it's 're fuel pump and we can discuss options . To refurbish or replace .

If it draws fuel up to the fuel filter . Strip and clean the filter then fill the filter chamber with fresh fuel.

I often find d pouring fuel into the carb to get the enginee running in short bursts will help you draw the fuel through 

1 make sure you have fresh fuel 

2 work back from the pump a section at a time ..remove the fuel pipe and clean it 

3 check the joints 

4 pre fill the fuel filter 

5 check the petrol tank ..drain and clean If required 

6 ensure you have fresh fuel .. I have identified my fuel has gone off so am having to do a full clean and flush .

Jenkinov

Thank you both for your advice, I have put new seals on the fuel filter and pump but may inadvertently put e10 fuel in to the tank!, will syphon the fuel from the tank and make sure e5 goes in and will test the pump on the recommendation and hopefully it will start, will update.

best regards.

I had a similar problem with a jeep that had sat for 18 months. turned it over but didn`t get any fuel to the pots. Tried everything but no joy. towed it behind  the van and it fired after about 10 seconds! not sure what  the problem was but doubt e10 would be the reason

Hi all.

I have managed to get the pump working and fuel up to the carburettor, on starting the jeep it was /running really rough therefore I suspected dodgy ht leads, I changed the them for new ones and reset the points but it made no difference.

I then noticed a tiny leak on the carb - see photo.....couldthis be the cause of the engine ruining rough?.

IMG_0005.JPG

you are running a carter carb i think you need to strip down clean and rebuild get yourself a metering rod gauge from joes motor pool and a new accelerator pump piston reset the float  that is were i would start on youtube there is videos on how to rebuild and set them up i bet there is muck in one or more of the jets