RAF Roundels

AmphibAndy

Roundel colours discussed in page 2 of this topic:-

https://hmvf.co.uk/topic/34169-ww2-raf-vehicle-markings/ 

BS381C 538 Post Office red/Cherry is a slightly different red in RAL

RAL 030 40 50  Hibiscus red

BS381C 539 - Currant Red is a slightly red in RAL

RAL 3031  Orient red

The blue is more questionable, but once you have decided which one you can find the RAL (and other codes) here:-

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/colour-alternatives.asp

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AmphibAndy said:

Can any kind soul help me with the RAL Colour codes for the RAF Roundels please?

I also assume that they were in gloss?

many thanks Andrew 

Hi Andrew,

I would ignore RAL colour codes as they are European origin. The British Standard colours are still used by paint suppliers in the UK. I am not certain on the shades of blue and red on the RAF roundel, but at a guess would say Royal Blue and Signal Red, both are BS shades.

Just found that on the BS381C colour chart there is 110 Roundel Blue and 454 Pale Roundel Red.

regards, Richard

• Like 1

thank you everyone for the replies and leads on colours.    I shall do some research on those now and report back.   Much appreciate the help.  And Richard I shall call you in the next couple of weeks and have a test drive over to see you.   cheers  Andrew 

Oh and this is my Dad in his COs Jeep in Burma, which he categorically confirmed was RAF Blue/Grey  ( contentious)  he was there from late 43 to 46 . 

5291E21F-B91E-484D-8C6B-F3A47ADD3ADD.jpeg

Edited by AmphibAndy

We were at a show yesterday a we saw a very well restored half track. Also noted was the very good looking RAF type roundel painted on her bonnet. My photos didnt really show the colours well but I will see if friends from the event have any better.

13 hours ago, Rootes75 said:

We were at a show yesterday a we saw a very well restored half track. Also noted was the very good looking RAF type roundel painted on her bonnet. My photos didnt really show the colours well but I will see if friends from the event have any better.

Thank you for this.   Not sure I have ever seen Half Track with Roundels, but there is a first time !  

I painted the (hopefully) attached roundel on my CMP roof using the following colours:

BS381C 356 Golden Yellow

BS381C 110 Roundel Blue

BS381C 538 Cherry Red

There is no white in the BS381C range so I used a white signwriter’s enamel.

I bought the paint from Paragon Paints and it’s semi-gloss, not matte, as that was too flat against the matte SCC2 I had mixed at Williamson’s in Ripon from Mike Starmer’s swatches. 

I cannot remember where I got the colour information from, but I looked at several modelling forums at the time as those guys like detail. It is round in real life as well, the angle of the shot makes it look slightly oval!

B42DBFFF-F123-4C9F-B8CD-30146C5F8EC5.thumb.jpeg.5ad82c727081b86b0f23bf72c47b6a3c.jpeg

1 hour ago, DanCMP said:

I painted the (hopefully) attached roundel on my CMP roof using the following colours:

BS381C 356 Golden Yellow

BS381C 110 Roundel Blue

BS381C 538 Cherry Red

There is no white in the BS381C range so I used a white signwriter’s enamel.

I bought the paint from Paragon Paints and it’s semi-gloss, not matte, as that was too flat against the matte SCC2 I had mixed at Williamson’s in Ripon from Mike Starmer’s swatches. 

I cannot remember where I got the colour information from, but I looked at several modelling forums at the time as those guys like detail. It is round in real life as well, the angle of the shot makes it look slightly oval!

B42DBFFF-F123-4C9F-B8CD-30146C5F8EC5.thumb.jpeg.5ad82c727081b86b0f23bf72c47b6a3c.jpeg

That is fantastic and since posting I had come up with those exact colour myself, although not the yellow as I am unsure of what that denotes.   Can you explain please?

In addition , did you spray these or are they brushed, they look exceptional , well done.   and thanks for the help   Andrew

On 8/31/2021 at 12:52 PM, AmphibAndy said:

That is fantastic and since posting I had come up with those exact colour myself, although not the yellow as I am unsure of what that denotes.   Can you explain please?

In addition , did you spray these or are they brushed, they look exceptional , well done.   and thanks for the help   Andrew

I had a set of stencils made by Axholme Signs and then used a flat lacquer brush to apply the paint. As it’s enamel it flows out quite smooth and has a lot of pigment so doesn’t need a second coat. I’m not sure if they’ve changed their vinyl cutter since but it’s as big as they could make it at the time, around 25” diameter.

When trying to find the correct roundel for the period (1943) the types on aircraft  didn’t match what was visible on all the photos I could find in various books.

It would appear that vehicles tended to use the Type D roundel despite aircraft not having it until after the war. On most of the pictures I found, the yellow ring was present so I included it.

I read that the yellow ring was added in 1942 to assist with making the roundel more conspicuous on aircraft so I assume they used it on the roof of vehicles to make them easier to identify from above? As if a big red, white and blue target wasn’t enough!

• 3 weeks later...