Early engine ID help required

racer

Good evening everybody,

As a long time reader of this forum I have always been impressed by the work and knowledge shown by all the people involved in the restorations,  I am now in the position of asking all you knowledgeable folk a question,  can anybody identify this engine that I have recently found,

1175428515_Frenchenginearrived(15).thumb.JPG.934ecd920733a62f416654676308b6e9.JPG

942333910_Frenchenginearrived(14).thumb.JPG.c7595db9b27efd8baaaf0f88b13c1a90.JPG

it is about 1000cc, it is metric and has no makers mark or markings of any kind, it has a place for a starting handle, a clutch in the engine oil and no forced lubrication, could it be a WW1 era generator or pump engine ?

Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

• Like 2

Mornin Radiomike7,

You are right with the similarity of the valve positions with the Indian, this engine seems to be earlier and more industrial than automotive but with the lack of any ID it maybe a prototype.

It has a very unusual adjustable cam timing/lift system that I have not found the reason for yet.

Thanks for looking.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...