Stupid Question

rodbargee

Ok I'll ask it, I have always fancied a scammell explorer or the like do you need a class 2or 1 licence or is there a grandads rights on such vehicle if its not being used commercially ALSO does one need an operators licence or is just haveing a big shed to store it enough (Used to sharing a commercial premises with fellow loonies, two double decker busses and three loco's

TIA Adam

Edited by rodbargee
spelting

Hi Adam,  I could be wrong but my understanding is that HGV's built before 1960 do not require the driver to have  an HGV ticket/operators licence, as long as driven for pleasure and unladen. p.s always fancied one myself :).

Jim

• Like 1

2014-05-17161419_zpsaea41b3f.jpgthe current listing on  ebay took my fancy I believe he has two!! though one would challange the shed Im used to sharing. and a challenge at the pump/s re- licencing that was my understanding too. My previous S`ugga pretending to be a Scammell pioneer

Edited by rodbargee

8 hours ago, jim fl4 said:

Hi Adam,  I could be wrong but my understanding is that HGV's built before 1960 do not require the driver to have  an HGV ticket/operators licence, as long as driven for pleasure and unladen. p.s always fancied one myself :).

Jim

Thats right, pre-1960 can be driven on a car licence as long as its unladen.

I do recall though that modern car licences dont allow you to do this but I dont know when the change in date was. 

• Like 1

Pre-1960 can be driven on any car licence so long as the vehicle is unladen.  Even with the modern car licences.  There is a leaflet from the DVLA that covers it - think it's INF52.

Can also tow an unladen trailer.  No operators licence or anything else need.  But does of course need to be insured and kept in a road worthy state.

I assume you are looking at the two Pioneer's that are were on ebay and still on milweb?  It's worth finding someone near you he owns a Pioneer or Explorer.  Owners are normally happy to explain what to look for and go through what it is like owning one.  The Explorer is the easier beast to drive as it has power steering. :)

Ed

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Edd said:

Pre-1960 can be driven on any car licence so long as the vehicle is unladen.  Even with the modern car licences.  There is a leaflet from the DVLA that covers it - think it's INF52.

Can also tow an unladen trailer.  No operators licence or anything else need.  But does of course need to be insured and kept in a road worthy state.

Ed

Hi Ed, a brief scan of the current regs suggests that towing trailers with a car licence may be an issue:

What you can tow

The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test.

View your driving licence information to see if you’re allowed to tow.

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM

tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

Licences issued before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Towing heavier combinations

Follow these steps if you want to tow heavier combinations.

Apply for provisional licence for a medium-sized lorry and trailer (category C1+E).

Pass the lorry theory test.

Pass the C1+E driving test.

So far as I know the pre 60 exemption overrides this.  I can't remember the exact wording but I think it's an exemption over other licence restrictions.  I've got the pre 1997 licence and the towing rules for that say I can have a combination up to 7500kg.  But this wouldn't cover say a Scammell Highwayman with living van.  But you can drive this on a car licence.

8 hours ago, Edd said:

Here is the link to the leaflet, relevant bit at the bottom of page 2.  Note there are age restrictions, for a Scammell Explorer which is over 7500kg it is 21.

inf52-large-vehicles-you-can-drive-using-your-car-or-lorry-licence.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

That is an interesting read, thanks for posting the link!

I am intrigued by the bullet point that says you can drive "any engineering equipment (vehicles designed or built for the purpose of engineering work), except mobile cranes". I own a 1961 Iron Fairy 6 which is clearly a crane but due to the nature of its design is legally "Engineering Plant" according to the Special Types regulations, and not a "Mobile Crane". I wonder id that means that it can or cannot be driven on a car licence!

Not a problem for me, I have a pre-97 C + CE licence, but it would be intersting to know if someone who only has a B licence can drive it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 10:42 PM, jim fl4 said:

Jim

I would have thought its one of the few vehicles thats big enough to share ownership and the running of it.