Cockleshell

cripp

I agree, very brave men, as were all during that war. Remember they hadn't had years of training as soldiers they were just ordinary men doing extaordinary things. :bow:

The film was made in 1954 and you can get it for a few pounds now. Well worth the price. A remake could be good or bad, probably bad with Americans portrayed as the heroes. :roll:

As to it being coming an all American production I would hope not, but that would have to do with "Who" raises the money to produce the movie .If that were a British production Group and they felt the best Actors were X nationality than that's what happens .The same if an American Group, either group could use either Nationalities or others, its not grounded in reality it's what sells the most tickets at the boxoffice.

I am sure I once saw a reference that the Cockleshells used IR signalling. But could never find any details - pity. Originally the only defence application for IR was not for night vision, but for clandestine signalling & to that end in the 1920s the Admiralty were the only arm of service that saw any potential in researching & developping systems.

Can anyone else recall references to IR for Cockleshell?

IR signalling was used quite extensivley in the '30 and during the war. One other form of clandestine signalling was UV light. The oddity is if you have cataracts and the lens of the eye is removed then the back of the eye reacts to UV light. Remember the Man From U.N.C.L.E. with the Thrush (What did that stand for by the way?) carbines, the large round spotlight on the top is a copy of the german WW2 Vampir sight.