Fuel consumption MPG of WW2 Allied tanks

BC312

Question

7 answers to this question

The figures quoted above give a reasonable picture of general WW2 tank fuel consumptions but must be interpreted.

Shermans, Grants and Valentines were built with both petrol and diesel engines. The diesel versions gave at least 50% better fuel consumption and were quicker. A tank has to work very much harder to move on soft or seriously broken ground or on gradients  so its fuel consumption is very much higher in these conditions than on firm level ground. This will result in about four times the consumption that can be obtained on a road. Covenantor and Stuart will do rather better than the others because they are much lighter but all the others if they have petrol engines will average about 0.5 MPG in real life.

Please remember that the official testing was not done in particularly scientific conditions and should be read with the statement of the conditions at the time of the test because that makes a big difference.

David

Thanks guys. Owning a couple of armoured cars myself i know that the MPG can vary depending on the type of usage. I have a talk coming up soon and need to mention about a few WW2 tanks, just needed an average MPG for each tank give or take, i dont think many people realise how thirsty these beasts are.