Winter Warriors

PeterMacD

Having just read Les Howard's interesting Q&A session with HMVF and the very good review of his book, Winter Warriors, by Mark Barnes, I thought I would add my two penneth.

Firstly, Winter Warriors is a breath of fresh air. It is a classic in the literary sense as it is probably the best written account from a ranker that I have ever read. The authors way of describing events leaves you with a feeling that you are sharing the experience with him, whereas other books make you feel like a long distance spectator or the bloke in a pub who overhears another group's conversation.

I also liked the fact that it wasn't a Special Forces tell all exposé where you can't draw the line between fact and fiction, where outrageous claims can never be verified. Les was a bog standard infantry soldier doing his best - just like 99% of the army. His exploits and experiences are just what you would expect on a peace keeping mission. He tells it like it was with an eye for detail and writing style that kept me hooked until the end.

WW also has the best glossary I have ever seen in a squaddie book, and the 30 odd colour photos and maps add another dimension to the story. When he describes his 432 next to a building, the photo is there. When he tells of white outs on convoy runs to Sarajevo - the photo is there. (My favourite is a shot of a recce deep in snow in the forests where they knew mines were scattered all around. You can sense the tension as they crept forward in their vehicles never knowing what was hidden from view)