British Army Stoves

Surveyor

13 hours ago, Mark Ellis said:

I've applied for that, following your earlier suggestion. Already joined an ACC group.
Had a look on MERLIN. This is just an example, but has some dates to give a rough guide to service periods.
So is 69 BN 70 a No. 4 Mark 1 trailer?

Trailer nsn.jpg

Sorry you are asking questions i dont know the answer to that 

Hopefully someone can help

45 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

It is normal to register a patent before production to avoid problems in the future 69 BN 70 is from contract 6/v/13891  which starts 1954

Fully agree with the patent comment Wally.

But isn't the first number the data that it was accepted or approved,  with the second number (the date of which is covered up in this example) being when it was submitted.

The No. 2 Mk 2 (with the built in sliding tank) appears in the 1939 manual, so that amendment must have been fairly swift.

Thanks for confirming the start date of 6/v/13891.

How would I find the contract or nsn for any cooking trailer before 6/v/13891, or should I try an FOI

52 minutes ago, Mark Ellis said:

Fully agree with the patent comment Wally.

But isn't the first number the data that it was accepted or approved,  with the second number (the date of which is covered up in this example) being when it was submitted.

The No. 2 Mk 2 (with the built in sliding tank) appears in the 1939 manual, so that amendment must have been fairly swift.

Thanks for confirming the start date of 6/v/13891.

How would I find the contract or nsn for any cooking trailer before 6/v/13891, or should I try an FOI

Its a long time ago since l had to do with the question of patents but from  what i recall there are/were two parts to the registration the first is to check that there is no infringement of any other registered patents and then the final registration how this is displayed  l do not recall. l may have some of the earlier contracts but only from 1949 There is a list some where of earlier contacts but cannot at the moment put my hands on it which should cover 1938 to 1945. l only got home at two o clock this morning after travelling for eighteen hours

1 hour ago, wally dugan said:

Its a long time ago since l had to do with the question of patents but from  what i recall there are/were two parts to the registration the first is to check that there is no infringement of any other registered patents and then the final registration how this is displayed  l do not recall. l may have some of the earlier contracts but only from 1949 There is a list some where of earlier contacts but cannot at the moment put my hands on it which should cover 1938 to 1945. l only got home at two o clock this morning after travelling for eighteen hours

Back to bed with you then, Wally. Get some sleep

Patents are a fickle reference source i'm afraid.

Something that was on the 10th variant may reference the initial patent, just to cover themselves so to speak.

It is a good starting point though and generally shows what they were thinking and where they were going 👍

Alec.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

According to this EMPS the C P No.1 (Hydroburner) entered service in 1938.

Thanks Clive. I get the impression that Nos. 1, 2 and 3 all possibly came into service around the same time, just before WW2. They're all listed in the 1939 VAOS.

I wonder what year the VAOS was before the 1939 edition?

What's the date of that EMPS, and what is EMPS? Sorry

Interesting that the No. 1s were still in service into the 90s. I wonder how many No 4 trailers were sat in war reserve. We had No 1 burners in Germany in the 80s

And when did the trailers become the Number 4 - clearly after 1939?

On 9/23/2023 at 10:36 PM, fv1609 said:

According to this EMPS the C P No.1 (Hydroburner) entered service in 1938.

Document_2023-09-23_223010.thumb.jpg.7393b6de8fb4be551ce505cec8839681.jpg

What's the date of this EMPS, please Clive?

The No. 4, Mk. 1 dates back to 1954 - so where else might the WW2 cooker trailer be listed?

I've emailed a few museums.

I'm presuming that the Dinky Cooker trailer is fuelled by the 4 outlet Hydra tank

No4Hydrapower.JPG.67133521edb786e33cc5486dc2e53abf.JPG

Dinky1.jpg.1fd585688e1de75c80c66170bef9927d.jpg

Dinky5.jpg.288613251fa698b6812b55c05641367e.jpg

Dinky22.thumb.jpg.4a14cc73e1f496af104ea1303dff3685.jpg

That EMPS is 1986

I see I have ETS for:

Cooking Outfit Field No.2 (Modified) Sept.1995

Stove Gasoline Burner, No.2 Mk 11 Modified. Sep.1987 (not sure if that is 11 or II)

WW2 probably in Regulations for the Army Part 1 1942

I know what you are going to ask! It is a big book but I will look through it in due course, but a may be a little while.

• Thanks 1

Well I found the Min of Ag & Fish book it was in the wrong place but I remembered where that wrong place was when looking for something else!

The pig book is on butchery & curing but there is just one advert that you might like.

I remember as a small boy being confused by the words of wisdom that used to be on matchboxes "A pig is a paradox in that it has to be killed to be cured" but as a small boy I had no knowledge of the word 'paradox'.

IMG_20230926_151825.thumb.jpg.cfc1d7750b0b3d52459ec6c986f4c68e.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Well I found the Min of Ag & Fish book it was in the wrong place but I remembered where that wrong place was when looking for something else!

The pig book is on butchery & curing but there is just one advert that you might like.

I remember as a small boy being confused by the words of wisdom that used to be on matchboxes "A pig is a paradox in that it has to be killed to be cured" but as a small boy I had no knowledge of the word 'paradox'.

Thanks, Clive.
I'll try and find an archive on Poultry and Pig farming from pre ww2.