Military Odyssey - Sunday 26th August 2007

Well we took a day trip to Military Odyssey on Sunday and the first thing that struck us was how empty the show was to previous years.

In particular, many displays were extremely spread out and this only degraded the quality of the display. On the (long) walk to the arena was a Civil War re-enactment group who had the whole field to themselves and not enough of their excellent display to fill it. Military vehicle numbers were also down and this contributed to a large number of spaces, and it was possibly due to this that the number of stalls had dropped, and there were few, if any, selling MV spares.

However, the quality of the battles was, in general, excellent and the use of aircraft added to this effect. The running commentary was also helpful in understanding what was going on. One thing I can't understand is, how does a German force, that outnumbered the Allied Force 3:1, with tanks, anti tank guns, heavy machine gun emplacements and armoured cars, lose to a small mechanised force of jeeps and GMCs :dunno:

On to the pictures :-D

Harry

c3d24bc7.jpg

114ca1f5.jpg

c64e1104.jpg

6757c8c9.jpg

74598db2.jpg

52367e09.jpg

MO2007139.jpg

MO2007119.jpg

Thanks for looking ;-)

Edited by Marmite!!

Nice weather!

First show this year where I haven't got my feet wet.

Saw TTM and Grasshopper - nice to see you again chaps. Forgot my new (and so far unworn) HMVF shirt though!

Couldn't get an invite for the Lighty so drove my mates Series 1 Landy up.

Some more photy's

100_0026.jpg

100_0028.jpg

100_0023.jpg

100_0020.jpg

100_0019.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

Most of this year concentrated on the Great War. about time they had alook in. Monday was busy. you know what they say 'Saturday for Tesco, sunday for the show'. There was some nice Axis kit there.

MOD EDIT.. Title changed

Oops, sorry for that it was Sunday we went :roll:

And Cheers Joris!

H,we went monday and thought the same how empty it was,was impressed with the ww1 battle nice to have somme authentic aircraft in the senerio,great pics with that camera!

Thank you for the comments. The WW1 battle was great fun. Even had a Bergman MP18 in it, and yes I know a year to early but, boy's and their toys. :-D

Harry - good snaps. Watch it!!!!

Tony B - I was there Saturday with James...we had a good walk round and I wished I'd seen your MP18....maybe another time. WW1 stuff was great. Got great pics of German Germans wearing Pickelhaubes and blue striped bathing suits and there was a wonderful RFC display with two actor chappies doing a recce flight over the Arras front in 1917. Pure magic - light hearted but making a serious point. It was, dare I say it, educational.

James and I don't watch the battles. Can't be ar5ed. I was asked to stop snapping some SOSKAN blokes - it was suggested to me that this was due to the Sweeney effect. Hmmm. Met Karl Joynes and his Pinky mob, Clive Stevens and Phil Benham from Bolero, Cara and Mick from 514 and Nick Halling was strolling around doing his thing. Didn't see Zoomer Phil or Stu Gould, but found the Rolling Thunderers and even Colin Tebb from Essex MVT. Shame you weren't there Saturday Harry, James would have loved to have met up with you. We managed to spend....£9 in the market. Mess tins, 58 pattern compass case, and a skrim net. Happy days.

Mark

Harry - good snaps. Watch it!!!!

Tony B - I was there Saturday with James...we had a good walk round and I wished I'd seen your MP18....maybe another time. WW1 stuff was great. Got great pics of German Germans wearing Pickelhaubes and blue striped bathing suits and there was a wonderful RFC display with two actor chappies doing a recce flight over the Arras front in 1917. Pure magic - light hearted but making a serious point. It was, dare I say it, educational.

James and I don't watch the battles. Can't be ar5ed. I was asked to stop snapping some SOSKAN blokes - it was suggested to me that this was due to the Sweeney effect. Hmmm. Met Karl Joynes and his Pinky mob, Clive Stevens and Phil Benham from Bolero, Cara and Mick from 514 and Nick Halling was strolling around doing his thing. Didn't see Zoomer Phil or Stu Gould, but found the Rolling Thunderers and even Colin Tebb from Essex MVT. Shame you weren't there Saturday Harry, James would have loved to have met up with you. We managed to spend....£9 in the market. Mess tins, 58 pattern compass case, and a skrim net. Happy days.

Mark

Cheers Snapper!

The battles (especially the WW1 one) were excellent, you should have watched even if just for the aircraft ;-)

Its a shame we couldn't meet up, it has been ages since I saw James last. Oh well, some time soon :-)

Harry

No worries. I gave one of the "ground crew" my business card (no kidding, I have one) so they could get in touch with me to send them the snaps I took.

Which hopefully means I'll see your MP18 at some point. Just finished reading Martin Middlebrook's old gem The Kaiser's Battle, I'd like to see someone representing that earlier era of Stormtruppen. Much less controversy. I know one of your blokes in passing - Barry, the Machine Gun Corps bloke. Hopefully see you to do some proper snaps one of these days.

Cheers Snapper!

The battles (especially the WW1 one) were excellent, you should have watched even if just for the aircraft ;-)

Its a shame we couldn't meet up, it has been ages since I saw James last. Oh well, some time soon :-)

Harry

Yep - he was disappointed not to see you. We'll miss Chelmsford thanks to my work. But, there are always plenty of other opportunities.

Keep up the good work.