Jeep seems a bit hot??????

Jessie The Jeep

While driving the jeep over the past few weeks, it seems hotter than normal, though the gauge ( french and in funny numbers ) doesn't suggest any major problem, that seems to be around normal. My feet seem to be getting much hotter than usual with warm air blowing in through the pedal openings.

Radiator has hot water after a drive, and the various pipes around the water system seem to be getting hot, so I'm guessing that the hot water is still being pumped around the system. Dipping my finger in the radiator water, it is hot, but not scalding.

Does everything sound ok, or can the jeep experts see a problem there somewhere. If the thermostat is stuck, it must be stuck open as the water is still circulating.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

If you can take the rad cap off and dip your finger in the coolant, then it is not boiling and neither would I assume it to be coming out of the overflow. Best thing is to have a reliable temp guage, normal temp around 180 degs F, or equivalent in foreign money.

You can test the sender of the guage by removing it and inserting in a container of boiling or very hot water, along with a thermometer to compare readings.

OK here's a question regarding the jeep being a bit hot. You know the little springy thing on the intake manifold that allows hot exhaust air over the intake during warm up??????? What would happen if that continued to let hot exhaust air pass over the intake during the whole running period?

While tinkering with the plug leads to cure one plug that wasn't firing consistantly ( since tinkering the other day with the points gap! ), I noticed that the end of the spring had fallen off the little ledge it hooks on, leaving it permanently in the starting/warmup position.

I've just hooked it back on but have yet to go for a good drive to see if it makes a difference.

Steve

I hope you are still bringing your Dodge!

Theres the answer the Dodge can use the Jeep as a trailer :-D What are you running on? I use 50/50 anti freeze/ water all year round, works well. Volvo do a ready mix Summer coolant, which is great at ambient above 20' C. Give the front of the radiator a good hose off, muck bettween fins can be a problem, when engine cold of course. 180 Fahrenheit is 82 Celsius. Don't forget oil has a cooling effect as well. Soak the engine for a few minutes after a long run, 2 or 3 minutes at idle you will watch temp drop and oil pressure go up. Good advice given to me years ago first couple of miles slow and steady, last of couple of miles slow and steady, warm up and cool down. If you have the facility back flush the system as well. In this weather I would take th springy thingy out completely.

• 1 month later...

............You know the little springy thing on the intake manifold that allows hot exhaust air over the intake during warm up..............

While tinkering with the plug leads.................I noticed that the end of the spring had fallen off the little ledge it hooks on, leaving it permanently in the starting/warmup position.

I've just hooked it back on but have yet to go for a good drive to see if it makes a difference.

Steve

Having had plently of time to drive and monitor the Jeep since coming home from Holland, and can confirm that the 'springy thing' on the carb was the source of my Jeep running hot. I bent the bracket that the spring rests on so it is now unable to slide off and remain in the permanently hot position.

Steve