Canvas paint

paul connor

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could offer advice about the application and use of canvas paint. I would like to paint the GMC CCKW seat covers, as they are very faded and look quite tired, so was wondering if this has been done before? Obviously, I do not want something to rub off on my clothes or to turn the seats very solid in texture, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

I'd actually keep them the way they are, Paul. Or choose to get a net set of covers for them.. No risk of running colors, or stains on the clothes, and they will look nice too.

John and Mary Worthing has them:  http://www.canvasco.com/

For 135£ ou get new canvas that smells and looks good,m is water proof, and will last you years to come. My Dodge WC 51 canvas that I got from Worthings was purchased in 1993 (!) and still good, albeit faded and worn. I have applied new weather proofing once only.

Best of luck,

Goran N

ZE-Carioca-June-2_2010_MG_0311.jpg

AFAIK  proper canvas paint is water based.  Years ago at the MOD  Misc. auctions it was dumped by the pallet load , not date expired - just so they did not have the risk of storage below 0 degree C.

I think they were afraid of solvent based paint attack on polyester stitching, I don't like the canvas weave to be filled with a thick clag paint.  Over 45 years ago , I took the chance with a new hood . Used it until all the surface dressing was washed off.  Then sprayed it with OD cellulose (50%  the max. matting base), stitching remained sound.  Weatherproof sealer, green algie - thing of the past , canvas esp. on roof protected from leaf residue (that has early date rotted through a canvas roof).   £20 appro. Litre + std. thinners.  One or two light coats and you will colour transform and canvas will still be flexible.

Edited by ruxy