Vehicle insignia etc.

ferret1958uk

My wife started stripping paint off the door to her Landy 2a FFR today and she found some nice day-glo orange text. Part of the text is missing on the middle line, but as a bonus you can just make out the RAE crest in the underlying paint.

Question is this: What does it all mean?

width=640 height=480http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r105/ferret1958uk/DeesRover05Aug07001.jpg[/img]

Merlin, I can't see the crest. Of the text I can make out ANTWERP. Most text on vehicles will be vehicle depot markings which is required to be painted out on issue to units. There was a vehicle depot at Antwerp. What other characters can you make out?

As far as I can tell the text reads:

S/67

FOO 48667 (RAE crest here) -S

ANTWERP.

I have attached another picture that seems to show the RAE crest a bit better. The crown above the crest is still faint though. You should also note that FOO could be FDO.

width=640 height=480http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r105/ferret1958uk/DeesRover05Aug07004.jpg[/img]

The Royal Aircraft Establishment Crest is on the original bronze green paint. It has been oversprayed by one layer of slightly lighter bronze green and the day-glo text is on this layer of green. The vehicle has atleast 4 other layers of paint after this with various signs on the front and rear of the vehicle. They are proving very hard to clean down, so a few hours with very fine wet and dry may be in order. Apart from the civvi blue top coat it all seems to be bronze green.