Disaster!!!

paul connor

Well here goes..

Was working on my Humber pig, Replacing the bleed nipples as they are a bit worse for wear. I purchased some new Steel 7/16th ones. which looked the same , upon comparison they had a slight different head and a bigger port at the bottom, but alas assumed they the same.

Upon installing they leaked, i tightened 3 of them and just a mild liquid movement under full pressure. The last one still leaked ; so i tightened just a little more and "Fu******" the cast on the ally cylinder split just slightly. None leak now, but i have to bleed the system again as it drew air back in when leaking.

Now what do you think? do i bleed the system again and hope they dont leak and the split does not affect them?

Do i source a new cylinder?

Do i replace the old nipples?

It was one of them silly moments where you know its going to split but by the time your thick head engages with your body has done the damage!

Paul,

With brakes you cannot afford to take chances. I would change the cylinder if it is split. It makes me wonder why it has split, are you sure the nipples were of the same thread, they should be UNF. If the new ones were Metric and slightly larger diameter, that may have caused the split. Working with cast aluminium, you have to be carefull of the threads as they corrode, causing the nipple to appear tight when it is not actually on its seat.

As I think you are in the Brighton area, I guess you know the one-stop MV parts place at Northiam? :) Richard will have cylinders.

Best of luck,

Richard

they are indeed UNF... im thinking the hole at the bottom of the nipple as its larger is causing the problem. so i think tommorrow i shall change back to the old nipples...

do you have anumber of the parts place?

and if i remember correct i can change the cylinder without taking the wheel and drum off

are they in fair condition then? just need a good clean?

Im really annoyed at myself for ruining the one i had! has really put downer on the day! I am going to clean and put the old ones back in! only changed as i had rounded one! system was fine! didnt even need bleeding!

only one problem Clive, i dont have a car at the moment! living in central city with the parking restrictions is a real pain! so until Feb when i get the chance to get a 109 im stuck with public transport!

What the chances of posting them? i dont want to be a pain:(

if that is ok? what would you want for them? as i can just post you a postal order or cash etc

do you have anumber of the parts place?

and if i remember correct i can change the cylinder without taking the wheel and drum off

Paul,

The dealer is Banisters at Northiam, up the road from Rye. Number is 01797 253211 or wjrbanister@btconnect.com

Yes, you can remove the cylinder without disturbing wheel or drum.

Sounds like Clive has fixed you up anyhow.

Richard

Clive , i have to say, that along the way you have been the most helpful person i have met in the hobby!

You took time out years back to show someone round a Pig and how to service them, That has ment alot to me! As well as answering a constant barrage of questions since then, yet always find the time.

And even as i was young took me seriously, which alot of people dont seem to do, another person i have alot of respect for is john Newton! shame he is not on the internet!

thanks for the patience Clive, means alot and i owe you countless beers at the next bar i see you at (hopefully Overlord)

Stop it, I like it! Yes posting is a pain, but in the circumstances if you PM me with your address, I'll post one. Don't get too excited it is just the casting thats on offer, then just pay me whatever the postage is sometime.

Well when I first met you I recognised an enthusiasm that was genuine & I wanted to reciprocate. People's age/dress/look doesn't matter. I just remember learning a lesson in life when I was a student & attended the student health service & got not quite a dressing down, but a seal of disapproval from my doctor that the way I dressed (mod!) was not befitting the course I was studying & I thought what right to you have to prejudge me. Hard to think when you look at me now!

Anyway when you were here I think the fact that I recommended that you DON'T buy my pig perhaps got you even more interested in a perverse way. I showed you what to do to the pig to help you & strange as it might seem as a moral obligation to the pig, or at least the next person who would buy the pig.